No problem. And for those who would like to know if this hack is compatible with vBAdvanced, vBIndex, or any other vBulletin hack, I really don't know - I have no experience with any of them.

What I will say, however, is that I will try my best to make this hack compliant with the new hooks 'n' plugs feature in vB 3.5 which is due out to be released soon. In the new version, supposedly hacks will not require editing of PHP code, so we'll see how that works when it gets here!

awesome :)

you'd be my favorite person ever

Hehe. :) And I just got my new laptop, which means that I get to work on the new version of vB from work once it's released. I can't wait! :)

How come i Don't have the following line in my showthread.php ?

$navbits["forumdisplay.php?$session[sessionurl]f=$forumID"] = $forumTitle;

Any idea?

Opps, I got it .. a space bar was placed when i usewd the search option of edit Plus!

Glad you got it figured out :)

great hack again. but the previous version is the best ;)

( / forum-name.html )

cscgal or anyone who can answer,

I have a question,

I understand the php edits and the .htaccess file, but I don't understand the changes needed for the templates via your xml file.

If I create a new style based on that xml file, is there any way to get the already modified templates from my originals to work correctly without re-doing them all? Someone had mentioned merging the styles, I'm not sure how this is done, or what the affects would be on the resulting style and mods to the templates in my original style.

Could you expand on this a bit to clear it up. I can see you put alot of work into this and I would like to use it, but I just don't get the template part.

I also have beyond compare but the xml files from you, and from my current style, based on being from totally different sources are quite different.

Thanks!

cscgal or anyone who can answer,

I have a question,

I understand the php edits and the .htaccess file, but I don't understand the changes needed for the templates via your xml file.

If I create a new style based on that xml file, is there any way to get the already modified templates from my originals to work correctly without re-doing them all? Someone had mentioned merging the styles, I'm not sure how this is done, or what the affects would be on the resulting style and mods to the templates in my original style.

Could you expand on this a bit to clear it up. I can see you put alot of work into this and I would like to use it, but I just don't get the template part.

I also have beyond compare but the xml files from you, and from my current style, based on being from totally different sources are quite different.

Thanks!

I am sorry for double posting in this thread, as it is more than likely against the forum rules; I am only trying to bring attention to by above referenced question. If someone could please take the time to reply it would be appreciated. I want to get this rolling as soon as I can, the sooner the better.

Thanks so much

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Things are hectic here with the release of vBulletin 3.5 beta 1. If you could give me just a little bit longer, expect a new version of this hack to be released that is 3.5 compatible.

The XML file that is included will only overwrite the templates that it needs to. So imagine the scenerio where there is a template for each letter of the alphabet. Your existing style makes changes to templates A, C, and E. My XML file makes changes to templates J, K, and L. You have two options. The first is to create a new style, where the only altered templates are J, K, and L. The second is to merge my XML file into your existing style, in which case templates A, C, E, J, K, and L will all be edited from the default. However, if your existing style has an edited version of template C and you merge my style into it, which also edits template C, my version of template C will overwrite your version.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Things are hectic here with the release of vBulletin 3.5 beta 1. If you could give me just a little bit longer, expect a new version of this hack to be released that is 3.5 compatible.

The XML file that is included will only overwrite the templates that it needs to. So imagine the scenerio where there is a template for each letter of the alphabet. Your existing style makes changes to templates A, C, and E. My XML file makes changes to templates J, K, and L. You have two options. The first is to create a new style, where the only altered templates are J, K, and L. The second is to merge my XML file into your existing style, in which case templates A, C, E, J, K, and L will all be edited from the default. However, if your existing style has an edited version of template C and you merge my style into it, which also edits template C, my version of template C will overwrite your version.

Thanks csgal,

I appreciate that. So I will just take the XML file and compare it to my XML file carefully, and use that. I look forward to the 3.5 version as well. Thanks so much.

Hi Dani

Thanks for the excellent tutorial!

Worked great!

I must say that your hard work is greatly appreciated. However if you or someone else can graciously find the time, can you please answer a quick question?

I cannot get my sub-forums listed on the index of the board to work. The links go to http://www.christianforums.us/.html. However, it works fine once you go inside of the forum. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!!

Sorry for flooding but we have done it
a couple of tweaks with the online.php and we are done

you can disregard or delete the posts
http://www.turkforum.net

Hi,

This is my first post here. Many thanks for a great mod!!!

On the same lines as xbsjasons comments on previously modified xml - is there a relatively quick way to pick the bones out of your xml and drop it into another. The trouble is that we are using the Aria skin from vBStyles and obviously when your xml is dropped on top it doesn't like it :sad: - is there too much to list seperately? Is it a viable option to sit there and try and work out what needs to be implemented?

I notice that on KeithMcL's revised mod for earlier versions (http://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial12725.html) that there is a list of individual items to change in the code (Step 2) - is there anything like that for this mod?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer :cheesy:

A great program to use is called Beyond Compare. What you will have to do is go through my XML file and for each template that I edit, use Beyond Compare to compare the lines of my template to your style's template. It should about an hour to do.

:eek: Thanks for the very fast reply!!

I'll have a look for that later and give it a try. :D

Hello Dani,

this hack is great, where can i download the robots.txt file for this hack?

Hello and thanks for this tutorial, it has helped me a lot. One problem still I have - on forums with many topics, that extends on more than one page(see attachment) the seo hack doesnt apply.
For example, when i try to access page 2 of such a populated forum it sends me to http://www.domain.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2-2&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=20&daysprune=30 (which gives me nothing)
instead of
http://www.domain.com/forum147-2-lastpost--40--1.html (example taken from daniweb.com site itself).
What did i do wrong, because i applied the xml style Dani made available for download and also i edited the php files flawlessly (i say).
Thanks in advance.

cscgal,

I finally took the time to get the hack working, and it has worked quite well... although I have just recently finished the intial install, it seems I may have missed something.

When you view the new posts, if you click the image to go to the newest post in the thread, it works fine, but if you try clicking one of the pages listed to the right of it (ie. 1, 2, 3, etc.) it does not work, it only takes you to the first page. Probably just a missed template edit I am assuming, as when you view the actual thread the page numbers on top and bottom are written correctly.

One suggestion I have for people with highly modified templates is that you create a completely new style, based off of the included xml file. Then go in and see what templates have been modified and use Beyond Compare to see what changes are needed.

If you load the XML file onto a modified template it will more than likely break it in some regards. (even with beyond compare my XML file looked almost nothing like the included one) My method is a bit more time consuming, and therefor more apt to error, but as long as you have the original templates to fall back on it's not a big deal and worth the time.

Another suggestion, as you mentioned using the h1 and h2 tags. I have done this also, but instead of using the forumname, I used the last element section of the navbar. Like below - and used CSS to make it a manageable size as well.

<h1>$navbits[lastelement]</h1>

Hey Im currently getting this error when I click a profile

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}' in /home/act6rso/public_html/includes/functions_online.php on line 158

also when I reply I get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function numberofpages() in /home/act6rso/public_html/newreply.php on line 247 , But it still post

any ideas? Im using the version for 3.0.7

Hey Im currently getting this error when I click a profile

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}' in /home/act6rso/public_html/includes/functions_online.php on line 158

also when I reply I get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function numberofpages() in /home/act6rso/public_html/newreply.php on line 247 , But it still post

any ideas? Im using the version for 3.0.7

FIXED :cheesy:

Hi Dani,

I'm currently looking at the two .xml files in Beyond Compare 2 and to be honest it's an absolute nightmare to work out what i need to change....

The trouble is that your xml has 1978 lines of code, the style i'm trying to apply the mod to has 2929 lines. I've found a couple of easy ones that match up but i'm guessing there are a lot more that just don't come close to lining up in BC2 that need changing...there's code all over the place :sad:

I don't suppose you do have a list of links etc that i should be looking out for that need to be changed?

If not, guess i'll just melt my brain and carry on :cheesy:

Thanks

My XML file only includes the templates that my hack has made edits to - therefore, it will always be shorter than an XML file that includes all of the templates for a style. What you should do is use Beyond Compare to compare one template at a time. The templates not mentioned in my XML file don't need editing.

:cool: Thanks again for quick response

:rolleyes: Sorry, it looks as though i'm just getting myslef into a rut here as cannot locate more than a few obvious changes...i can see plenty of big changes but not sure what the impact would be if these were implemented.

I don't suppose you do paid for work to fix this sort of thing? I would gladly pay for the .xml to be tweaked - sorry if it states elsewhere that you do not do this. If you do, please can you let me know.

Thanks

PS we are running a std skin with the hack on ok and want to offer this as an alternative

hmm..I was just reading all the post I will give this mod/hack a try soon! great work and a big thanks to Dani on putting forward this whole information about vbulletin mod_rewrite :)

Could anybody help me out with why I am getting a fatal error: call to undefined function numberofpages()

in newreply.php

I saw somebody above had the same problem, but they fixed it and didn't say how :/

Hi,

Yesterday we upgrade to VB 3.0.8 and this mod doesn't work anymore ... many problems : to go to page 2 for a thread on a forum homepage, we got showthread.php?t=39402-2 ...; the links in the navbar are forumdisplay.php?f=90 ... an idea ?

thanks
Y.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.