I have a client that is asking me to design the user specific area of a commerce site.
Basically, when a user creates an account (such as an account on Amazon or any other typical e-commerce site), there would be a user specific area that would contain the purchases the user has made in the past. The purchases are videos so they would actually be hosted there under their profile for them to access.
I am not clear how to generate a user specific content area like this.
Do I need a CMS? Out of the box already developed solutions that I can tweak are prefered but I am not sure where to start.
Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

zen cart is a nice free shopping cart system that you can customize and mod pretty easily.

There are many Open Source CMS available. Zen Cart is a popular shopping cart, whilst Wordpress and Joomla are popular content-orientated management systems, though both include the option to add a shopping cart feature via 3rd party addons.

I recently did a similar website for a client, only the items were flash files. To do the website I used Wordpress with a 3rd party shopping cart addon.

There are many Open Source CMS available. Zen Cart is a popular shopping cart, whilst Wordpress and Joomla are popular content-orientated management systems, though both include the option to add a shopping cart feature via 3rd party addons.

I recently did a similar website for a client, only the items were flash files. To do the website I used Wordpress with a 3rd party shopping cart addon.

hmmm. Ok. I have looked at Joomla and I see how to add users, but I am just not clear on how to make it user specific once they sign in.... That is the part that is eludeing me. I see how I can give them permissions to one area over another but....

I am not afraid to write code, I am just trying to figure out where to start since I have never done a site like this before.
In this case, the items are videos and they will want the users to be able to see how much traffic their video receives also....

And of course, if there is a package already written that can speed things up, that is all the better for my client.

Thank's for the replies. Keep em coming :-)

You want users to see how much traffic the videos are recieving as well? This is getting more and more complex.

As far as I know, there's no out-of-the-box software that will do this, you're going to have to alter it in some way; you'll have to code.

You want users to see how much traffic the videos are recieving as well? This is getting more and more complex.

As far as I know, there's no out-of-the-box software that will do this, you're going to have to alter it in some way; you'll have to code.

OK. Well, I guess I'll start with a CMS and go from there. :-)
Thanks for the input!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.