1.11M Members

Showing code on a website

How do you show code on a website? Right now I define a bunch of CSS styles called Comment, Preprocessor, Keyword, etcetera. Then make a two column table, make the left column line numbers and and the right column each row has a line of code. Then I manually go through the code assigning CSS styles where appropriate. The problem is that this is tedious, especially for long pieces of code and it is not portable so if I need to change things it takes a long time. I am very new to website programming and have no idea where to start with this. Any help?

Can I ask why you want to show code on a website?

Because I was challenged by a friend to make a C++ tutorial website and I am determined to win my challenge ;). Also how can I have hidden content (so you press a button and all of a sudden extra text appears.

Unfortunately I don't think I can help but I think you mean to display code like you would on this forum, in code tags, and I don't know how to do that (mainly because I have needed to do it so haven't looked into how it is done).

With regard to hidden content which shows on the click of a button that would need a mix of CSS and JavaScript - many tutorials on the web.

Sorry to have not been more help.

Ok, I guess I will stick to my tables of manually coloured syntax :( Thank you anyways.

Question Answered as of 2 Years Ago by simplypixie

Were you looking for a syntax highlighter ? There are many more than the one I linked. (I know this was solved, but it may help others.)

Isn't it about time forums rewarded their contributors?

Earn rewards points for helping others. Gain kudos. Cash out. Get better answers yourself.

It's as simple as contributing editorial or replying to discussions labeled or OP Kudos

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: