1,105,363 Community Members

Website not working in IE6/7 - need new CSS?

Member Avatar
Cat03612
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jan 2012
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hi,

I am using Contao, which I am unfamiliar with, to make a website for my boss, and now it is published I can get it to work on every browser except IE 6 and 7. The images are coming out all misshapen... Open www.carolineredmanlusher.com in IE6/7 to see what I mean!

I think it's due to IE 7 not parsing the float property and margins/padding as well as the newer browsers do, I've been told I should be able to get round it with one extra style sheet and then add an 'if' statement to the header on each page, but I really don't know how to do this (and I am the WHOLE IT department - there's no one to show me how!

Please would someone explain, really simply, how to download the bit of CSS I need from Contao, the exact code I need to add to it, and exactly where I need to add it? I am learning on my feet here!

Member Avatar
teedoff
Practically a Master Poster
605 posts since Jul 2010
Reputation Points: 3 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 60 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Have you tried defining a pixel width for your floated elements? If I'm not mistaken, in older IE version you had to specify a width for your floated elements and the elements that were to move in beside the float.

Member Avatar
hericles
Veteran Poster
1,078 posts since Nov 2007
Reputation Points: 98 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 232 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 14 [?]
Featured

If you want to go the IE 6/7 stylesheet way add this code to your page headers:

<!--[if lte IE 7]>
// add your link that points to the IE6 style sheet
<![endif]-->

This means if less than or equal to IE 7 then do this. These comments are only read by IE browsers.
If you can resolve the issue without using this it would be better though.

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: