1.11M Members

Help! Extra whitespace & box-shadow

Can someone please tell me why there is extra white space to the right, and why the border around the page doesn't go to the bottom! My link is http://spencedesign.netau.net/singaporehome.html

There was no whitespace when I had the links in a ul, but now that I put them into divs so i could move it freely it got all messed up. Please help, I have to submit this project tonight!

I think you've got a problem with the div's, as they are set to a width of 1300px, which extends off the page.. try using 1000px instead and then move the div's around abit (ie facts should be set to apprpx. top: 240px, right:600px; etc.

mattster

Problem fixed? I dont see any extra space. There is no scrollbar so I assume you fixed it?

Yeah that worked for the first issue, now just the box shadow isn't the entire height

ok, try workign with this...

in your CSS, remove * {} and replace with..

body, html {
  margin: 0px;
  padding: 0px;
  height: 100%;
}

Here is the basic structure to place an inset shadow around the body:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title> Singapore - Home </title>
<style>
body, html {
  margin: 0px;
  padding: 0px;
  height: 100%;
}

body {  
  box-shadow:0 0 25px rgba(0,0,0,0.3) inset;
}
</style>
<body>
</body>
<html>

That worked somewhat, but now the box-shadow is too low. I just cant win.

Also, I just noticed, for some reason the facts and the tour div are not links, yet they are coded the same way as the rest?

I fixed the extra white spaces, just not the links.

Your links are coded OK. The reason is because the divs you created are 900px wide so they are overlapping each other. Therefore the links are behind divs. I already verified it using developer tools and changing the z-index of the individual divs.

Unforutanately for you, chaging the width of the divs, will require some additional work on your part to reposition the divs.

div#gallery, div#facts, div#tour, div#author {
  text-align: center;
  width: 900px;
}

Ah okay thanks for all your help. I will just get rid of that css grouping.

Question Answered as of 1 Year Ago by JorgeM and mattster
You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article