I have a wierd link issue with Internet Explorer 8 concerning links on my front page at http://www.b2bfax.net There are two links that direct to our prices page and they work fine in Firefox but don't work at all in IE. I have an additional link that links to merge samples on pane three and that works in both browsers. I tried removing all the css for the nonworking links, re-entering them in Dreamweaver but i can not figure out why they don't work in IE8.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

get rid of any mixed cases.
uri normally lower case,
B2Bpage is not equal to b2bpage on the server, but it is on localhost
ie is expecting the standard (lower case letters) and converting the uri to lowercase
firefox is smarter and handles uri as entered

IE is still >= 70% of users

Have to support it

Thanks for the Reply almostbob and i tried all lowercase but it didn't help. I have a link on pane 3 that has mixed case that does work in IE. IE doesn't even recognize the linke, no pointer when i hover over and nothing happens on the click. I did paste in the url http://b2bfax.net/faxBroadcastPrices.html target of the link into IE8 and it loads fine. It's like IE8 doesn't think that is a link for some reason. Thanks again and please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Have you tried adding 'www.' in front of your domain name? It happened to me with some browser in the past. Not sure IE8 requires 'www.' in order to recognize it as a URL.

Thanks for the reply and Yes, tried adding the 'www' first thing but it didn't help. It's the wierdest thing, i have links on pane three that do work.

slide0 hgas different styling than applied to slide 2 3 4
Try <div id='slide0' with the styling attributes of the slides that do work

<div id="slide0" style="float:left; width:100%; height:500px; ">

compared to

<div id="slide1" style="float:left; width:100%; height:500px; background:#444444; padding:10px; border-top-left-radius:5px; border-top-right-radius:5px;5px; border-bottom-right-radius:5px;5px; border-bottom-left-radius:5px; box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px #888888; position:relative; z-index:1;">

z-index default is 0 :: slide0 may be behind the other slides in IE8's opinion so the links unclickable.

commented: Solved by Almostbob +0

Thanks much!!! It was the position: relative; but you surley figured this out noticing the style diffs. It is fixed now thanks to you.

commented: Glad to help, IE not the smartest b rowser, Kudos you solved it yourself +13
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.