Hi,

I have a website and quite a few members have suggested that adding a chat room would be a great idea.

I'm searching for something I might be able to integrate well into my site.

Has anyone tried RumbleTalk or C-box?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Many solutions have client (e.g. javascript) and server (e.g. PHP, ASP...) aspects. We need to know what server-side setup you have. Many solutions have an Ajax-type setup. Some may be Comet based. Some use websockets or node.js

What have you tried so far?

If your chat page is behind some sort of authentication, the easiest solution might just be an open source script like Ajax Chat from Sourceforge, however as diafol suggests, you'd have to clarify your requirements. Things like once the user is logged in, their username should auto-log them into the chatroom when they come to that page must be considered.

By any chance are you using WP? If so, there are already numerous plugins that are free and already built for it.

Member Avatar for diafol

Had a look at Rumbletalk. Seems OK, nothing special, but they want $14/month just for a chat box! Having used the demo, I wasn't too impressed.
c-box has a free version, but the number of missing features doesn't make it very attractive. The premium version is only $2/month. It looks pretty rough though. I'm not sure why those two were suggested to you.

A chat solution that I have used is http://frug.github.io/AJAX-Chat/screenshots.html although not for a few years, so it's probably even better now. It's free too and used to be really easy to set up and customize.

You may want to talk to Dani, she built the chat feature on Daniweb from scratch, so I believe.

You try Live2support live chat. It offer live chat for website. Visit on Live2support website login on it and get code past in your site then the live chat start on your site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.