When I first started SEO, I came from a sales position. Sales is not my strong suit. Im much more of a technical type of person. So we thought that I would do well in this type of work. However, the only thing I ever knew about the internet was how to surf it.

Now I learn pretty quick and I think Im more naturally skilled for technical stuff, I just need to learn.

What is the best way to learn web design, HTML, CSS, XHTML, etc... anything, EVERYTHING I need? Should I take college courses? Or are the online tutorials enough for someone to master these things? Or should I just do both??

Did you guys all go to school to learn this stuff??

Free bets Famous quotes

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

When I first started SEO, I came from a sales position. Sales is not my strong suit. Im much more of a technical type of person. So we thought that I would do well in this type of work. However, the only thing I ever knew about the internet was how to surf it.

Now I learn pretty quick and I think Im more naturally skilled for technical stuff, I just need to learn.

What is the best way to learn web design, HTML, CSS, XHTML, etc... anything, EVERYTHING I need? Should I take college courses? Or are the online tutorials enough for someone to master these things? Or should I just do both??

Did you guys all go to school to learn this stuff??

Free bets Famous quotes

Well it all depends upon you. What your eally want to do. I learned everything myself and i am happy with that. Everything is clear and i could make anything i want.

There are several online resources available on net to learn HTML, CSS, js etc..

well, i am 15 so there's no chance to do any college couse. All i learned myself trough books, net etc. And now i have excellent knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XHTML, DHTML, ASP, XML, Flash etc...

The way I learnt was:

Started using frontpage and really basic graphics. I then saw that tables were rubbish and moved to css. That was really when I started learning html properly but after stairing at it in the code window of frontpage it came quick.

Since then I have moved to dreamweaver becuase it makes writing code faster and of course my graphics hav got alot better.

I don't like HTML as it stands because it's so... static.

I never really got into HTML because of that aspect alone. I like things to be very flexible, and very abstract.

I like to establish a set of rules, and have things obey those rules. I like website pages to grow themselves; from little seeds of information.

I really got into writing HTML when I found out about XSLT ^_-

And now I build pages from data using a Perl-interpretted markup language I wrote meself.

If you're likely to have to do lots of things that look the same, but contain different data; learn XSLT.

If you want pages to look the same and change over time (based on input from over the web), learn PHP. And hey, learn XSLT aswell: there's a PHP XSLT module* ^_-

The best way to learn is to start doing something that you have only a faint idea of how to do... The harder it is, the more you'll learn.

I learned html, css, and rudimentary javascript on my own by surfing the web, looking at tutorials, and just plain creating sites.

I later took a college course in html...and to be perfectly honest, I learned a heck of a lot more on my own than in the college course.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.