Firstly: Generally what are some good programs to use for web graphic design? Paintshop pro? Etc?

:?:

Secondly: Dani what did you use to create the Techtalk logo ? Very nice by the way.

:p

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

I'm a huge fan of Adobe Photoshop. I used Photoshop 7 to design the new techtalk logo. For anyone who's interested, I created the arrow by using the Custom Shape tool. I then imported all available shapes and then located the arrow shape. I skewed it a bit when creating the shape, then applied a gradient, drop shadow and stroke (outline).

commented: Its Dani :-). 'Nuff said. +2

I'm a big Photoshop fan too. However, if your starting out, Photoshop's interface can be VERY intimidating. It is very hard to get started - but once you do, you realize that everything is better the way Photoshop is.

My suggestion is to pick up a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. Elements is a scaled down, beginners, version of Photoshop (not only are the features scaled down, but the price is drasticly scaled down too. Photoshop is about $500, while Elements is about $89). That is how I got started, and with a book or a little instruction from someone, you should be well on your way!

Thanks... I just happen to have a buddy who has Photoshop. I think I will check it out!

Just to chime in...I use PSP 8. I have Photoshop also but PSP8 is much easier to use or maybe i'm just use to it after using it for so many years. I started with PSP and always intended to move to photoshop but everytime I found myself going back PSP. Download a trial here:
http://www.jasc.com/trialreg.asp?pid=K-PSP8-USDIR
P.S: it's also way cheaper:)

I do a lot of graphics and I've used many different programs before, in my opinion, nothing beats PhotoShop. You can download a copy of the user's guide from their website.

psp8 has a brill background removal tool. ;)

I started out a few years ago with Paint Shop Pro, very easy to learn and a lot of the same features as photoshop. But now that I am a user of Photoshop I can't see myself using anything else, it is worth learning, but get your start with PSP.

Im personally a big fan of Photoshop and Fireworks.

Personaly i use photoshop cs 8.0
but i suggest using ulead Photoimpact over psp though
i think alot of you starting out with grfx will be very happy
with Photoimpact

heres some of my stuff iv done My art

I just want to say that this thread has helped answer my question in part. Do any of you know what the best way to deal with an image that must be within a 200x200 area?

200x200 pixels? Can you just set the canvas size?

I could and have done that. The main problem is that I keep having a loss of resolution when I upload the grafics that I have worked on within the 200x200 pixel canvas. Also do you know away in which I can rid of the excess space around an image so I can combine it with another? Lastly, I need to include 3d text in this image; is there a proper way to texture them?

I figured out my problem, it was just a matter of doing it right on PSP 8.

cool :cool:
Congrats

I have to go with macromedia fireworks you can do a lot of stuff that photoshop can but in half the process steps

which program would you all suggest to be best for designing web pages? flash, fireworks, freehand, photoshop, paint shop pro, ect.. ect..

I like fireworks the best since you can do the same thing in photoshop then you should just see which one you are more comfortable in. Flash i guess would be the best because you can have more dynamic web pages but out of the list i would have to say it would take the most time to learn. Freehand i think is not a suitable program to design web pages in it is more like paint.

There are a lot of products out there which you can try out.

- Adobe Photoshop
- Macromedia Fireworks.
- Coreldraw 12

Also a less known product

ulead photoimpact.
basically it depends what sort of designing you are intending

photoshop is "the one" but ulead photoimpact is much more simpler to usw

:D

Photoshop 7 is a very effective tool. I work in photoshop for nearly 12 hours a day. i never get bored.
But, one can use Illustrator or free hand to create typical shape logos.

another photoshop admirer ;)

After a hard start (couldn't understand those layers) I just discovered the potential. Awesome piece of software indeed.

I'm a big fan of Photoshop, i agree that it can be quite intmidating at first, but it is worth learning and there are plently of sites out there with a lot of tutorials to get you started, deviantart (a site i spend far to much time on) has a good range of tutorials that can really help you get a solid grip on that and a range of other art based programs.

I'm a Corel guy ;) I use Corel Photopaint for all my desktop design work :)

Dan

Photoshop is probably the best graphics editor in the market, but not necessarily the best one for the web.

I personally think the best graphics editor for the web is Fireworks. I have both and I use Photoshop for complex stuff and for off-line stuff, but when it comes to web graphics Fireworks has a clear edge in speed, easy of use and features.

>>which program would you all suggest to be best for designing web pages?
I hate to beat on a dead horse, but the best way to go about a web page is to do it by hand. However, few people can actually code a site by hand and end up with something good.

I usually start my designs in Fireworks, just to see how I want the site to look like. Then I code it by hand and export some of the images. The result is a site that looks like what has been designed in the graphics program but has all the functionality one would expect from a webpage.

commented: did an awesome job of pointing out the truth in webdesign. +2
commented: Good call +2

Photoshop is probably the best graphics editor in the market, but not necessarily the best one for the web.

I personally think the best graphics editor for the web is Fireworks. I have both and I use Photoshop for complex stuff and for off-line stuff, but when it comes to web graphics Fireworks has a clear edge in speed, easy of use and features.

>>which program would you all suggest to be best for designing web pages?
I hate to beat on a dead horse, but the best way to go about a web page is to do it by hand. However, few people can actually code a site by hand and end up with something good.

I usually start my designs in Fireworks, just to see how I want the site to look like. Then I code it by hand and export some of the images. The result is a site that looks like what has been designed in the graphics program but has all the functionality one would expect from a webpage.

this man knows hip hop and truly hits the mark on the head.

I like Corel Draw. It's great for technical drawing and adjusting photos.

My only complaint is the lack of non-toll support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.