I thought this would be a very basic install but it's turning out to be a little more involved than I imagined. Here are the specs of install. I used Acronis True Image to make a bootable rescue disk, and then I also backed up my whole laptop's hard drive using Acronis as well. Here is where I ran into problems.

My laptop is a 3 yr. old Fujitsu N-5010, 3.0 Ghz, Pentium 4, running an IDE ATA hard drive. I am installing onto a newer desktop, a Micro Velocity E2035, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, running a SCSI hard drive. From what I can gather after reading other computer/IT forums, therein lies the problem, incompatibility of hard drive types that is. MS support even recommended switching components on the newer computer to match those of the older one, but I am not in a position to do that.

The new computer powers up fine and proceeds with a Micro Velocity welcome screen - after that, however, is where I get the following error message:

Stop 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Does anyone have experience with this, or perhaps could someone shed some light on what my options are at this point? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. I'm not dead set on installing XP from my laptop onto this newer computer (which has no OS installed on it BTW) but I would be open to other suggestions. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Xp is meant to do that.

XP is designed so that if its hardware drasticalyl changes, it wont boot, in order to stop piracy.

You may be able to get it to boot by doing a "repair reinstall" but you will need an xp cd and it will cock things up a bit.

I thought this would be a very basic install but it's turning out to be a little more involved than I imagined. Here are the specs of install. I used Acronis True Image to make a bootable rescue disk, and then I also backed up my whole laptop's hard drive using Acronis as well. Here is where I ran into problems.

My laptop is a 3 yr. old Fujitsu N-5010, 3.0 Ghz, Pentium 4, running an IDE ATA hard drive. I am installing onto a newer desktop, a Micro Velocity E2035, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, running a SCSI hard drive. From what I can gather after reading other computer/IT forums, therein lies the problem, incompatibility of hard drive types that is. MS support even recommended switching components on the newer computer to match those of the older one, but I am not in a position to do that.

The new computer powers up fine and proceeds with a Micro Velocity welcome screen - after that, however, is where I get the following error message:

Stop 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Does anyone have experience with this, or perhaps could someone shed some light on what my options are at this point? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. I'm not dead set on installing XP from my laptop onto this newer computer (which has no OS installed on it BTW) but I would be open to other suggestions. Thank you all in advance for your help.

I'm confused. You say that it has no OS installed on it? Then what are you trying to boot from? If it is a cloned image from your laptop you would have many problems. You'd have problems with all of the different components not having the right drivers installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.