I have a Seagate 80gb Hard Drive that is a IDE. I just bought a new DELL Dimension E310. It has a 80gb SATA 2 Hard Drive. The mother board does not have anyplace where I can connect my older IDE Hard Drive . Is there anyway that the older IDE Hard Drive can be connected to my new computer as a secondary Hard Drive?
Someone told me that I can use one of the CD ROM connections to connect to my Hard Drive, will that work?
If not what can I do?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

so your computer only has one EIDE channel? that's starnge. yes you can use the cd-rom's channel, just make sure you set up the cd-rom as slave and the hd as master, or the other way around, doesn't really matter

Thanks for the information. I tried what you said and it worked perfectly. Why did you think that it was strange that my new computer did not have an IDE for another hard-drive? Is there any downfall by hooking it up to the CD Rom's channel? Thank you again, Paul

well, if you have a hard drive and cd-rom in one channel, then you can only have one cd-rom. I just think it's strange for a computer to come with one IDE channel, i don't think i've ever seen it.

well, if you have a hard drive and cd-rom in one channel, then you can only have one cd-rom. I just think it's strange for a computer to come with one IDE channel, i don't think i've ever seen it.

I think all the new Dell desktops do. I had the same problem as Paul Flores, but I decided to get a usb 2.0 external hd case because I have a DVD ROM and CD-RW

hey if you really wanted to have more cd-rom drives, you can get a SCSI adapter and with that you can have up to 14 devices hooked to your computer, including: cd-rom, hd, tape drive, pretty much whatever you want. how ever, a SCSI setup is complicated for newbies or people who just don't know much about computers.

or, if you have a number of IDE devices, just go in for a PCI IDE add on card. The card provides you with 2-4 IDE channels.

also there are sata->ide adapters, so with thier help you can hook ide drive to sata controller.

I think all the new Dell desktops do. I had the same problem as Paul Flores, but I decided to get a usb 2.0 external hd case because I have a DVD ROM and CD-RW

I'm trying just that, but it still doesn't recognize it. Help!

I'm trying just that, but it still doesn't recognize it. Help!

Whoops, nevermind... silly me, I forgot to put the jumper into the harddrive.

hey guys i need help .... i have connected my ide cable hard drive to the cd drive and in turn to its port ... also i have connected its power supply ... but still in getting a blue screen sayin : a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to ur computer ...

i installed a asus 845 motherboard on my desktop and it is not reading my hard drives it says no sata hard disk found do i have to configure it on the bios or whats wrong can any one help please thanks....

it never hurts to look at bios

I have same problem. I have 40GB HDD IDE drive and I purchase a new motherboard. That motherboard don't have IDE slot. I want to use that 40GB HDD in that motherboard and I have lot many data in that motherboard. I tried many options but can't solve the problem. Please help me out...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.