If you use Windows, then it is possible to squeeze extra speed from your internet connection. By default, Windows reserve internet bandwidth up to 20% for various services such as Windows updates and spyware checks by using QoS Packet Scheduler, it is a network bandwidth management tool that can monitor the importance of data packets and depending upon the priority of the packet, give it higher or lower priority or bandwidth levels. It’s not very useful unless you’re using apps which are QoS-aware or running a server, so you can gain some network overhead back by turning it off.

Check it: Increase The Speed Of Internet Connection By 20%

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

How to configure ?
On which section this can be done?

Your tips about the increase the internet speed is really fine.After using Your tips i check my internet speed in the site http://www.ip-details.com/

The thread starter's trick is old one and is of no such use basically for new FIREFOX users. There are better ways to increase speed these days.

How to configure ?
On which section this can be done?

Hey you asked for the setting, Isn't? Here it is:

If you want to tap into this locked speed then make the following changes:

1. Go to Start-> Run-> and type gpedit.msc
2. Expand the Administrative Templates branch
3. Expand the Network tab
4. Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
5. Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the enabled box
6. Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %

Once you have done this click apply and restart your PC. After rebooting you should see a noticeable improvement in your net speed.

I'll this out. I guess this is pretty useful for home internet connection with less than 1mb speed. Otherwise I guess you won't even notice the speed increase (unless you are downloading files)

The thread starter's trick is old one and is of no such use basically for new FIREFOX users. There are better ways to increase speed these days.

Care to share your tips?

is this applicable in vista? because i tried it and it doesn't work however i made research on it i found this steps, it has both instructions for XP and Vista.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb870370.aspx

nice site . i reallylike cos it has very valuable info.
thanks for sharing.

nice site . i reallylike cos it has very valuable info.
thanks for sharing.

no problem

I DONT THINK THESE THINGS BOOST UP YOUR INTERNET SPEEDS.CHECK THIS FOR MOST WORKING TIPS:
<snip>

HERE IS THE MOST WORKING TIP TO INCREASE YOUR INTERNET BROWSING AND DOWNLOADING SPEEDS:
<snip>

Yes, Really Good post.
We should the system's temp files, defrag regularly, clean registry.

This helps those using Dial up connections, thanx for sharing.

I have XP. I tried running the gpedit.msc and it said it cannot find it. Any thoughts?

Its old trick and most of the people know it now.
Here is the detailed trick:

Windows reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for several reasons related to QoS or Quality of Services like Internet telephone systems, video, and also Windows Updates.

But there is a simple trick to utilize your full internet bandwidth . You can use this trick to accelerate your internet speed.Here’s how to get it back.

* Go to Windows Vista Start Menu > Run and then type “gpedit.msc” to run Group Policy Editor.
* You’ll need to provide administrative confirmation if User Account Control(UAC) is turned on.
* Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates.
* Under Administrative Templates, expand Network and then Qos Packet Scheduler.
* In the right panel, right click on Limit reservable bandwidth and then select Properties.
* In Limit reservable bandwidth Properties, click on Setting tab and then enable Limit reservable bandwidth.
* Here you can change Bandwidth Limit from default 20 to 0.

Regards!
PrintingHost.com

This is NOT a good old trick it is pretty much useless to most users as windows already gives you the bandwidth you need AS you need it :)
I fell for this years ago too but I cannot believe I am still seeing it pop up...
I know the thread is old but many people can still come and read it!
So please...if you think this might be a good idea then ... just read what Microsoft has to say..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q316666
especially this part:
'By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.'
Or to put it another way, when the programs like VOIP and windows update are NOT usign any bandwidth, then that bandwidth is available for other programs. so you already have 100% available as you should, unless you use windows update and it is doing an actual download for an update, or you are using voip, skype etc.
Well if you were using voip you would definitely want to have bandwidth allocated with more priority over other prgrams!!! Also windows update is hardly downloading for long most days and so the amount of times it takes that 'upto 20%' of your bandwidth is hardly enough to cause concern.
Either way the fact is that you always have 100% of your bandwidth.
Be careful of internet hoaxes ;)

I used the Meera said site................

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.