I am installing office 2003 on a vista business PC in administrator profile and i get this message Error 1404 setup cannot delete the registry key. How can i solve it please help

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Did you read & follow up this:
http://www.appdeploy.com/msierrors/detail.asp?id=103

It suggests the following action:
------------------------------------------------------
RESOLUTION

1. Quit all Windows programs.
2. Click Start and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type Regedt32.exe and then click OK.
4. Select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine window.
5. Locate and select the following key:
\Software\Microsoft\Office
6. Follow the steps for your version of Windows.
For Microsoft Windows XP: a. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
b. Click the registry key for the user who is currently logged on, and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
c. Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user who is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
d. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box, and clear the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here check box.
e. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you are prompted to continue.
f. Click OK, and then click OK again.
g. On the Registry menu, click Exit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Suspishio great advise there. The solution worked with no problem. This site really has gurus. keep up the spirit do not lose moral this is wonderful.

thanx cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.