I was removing a few programs I my computer 2 days ago, (in Add/Remove) and I needed to remove a file with the word "Sound___". The problem is, I wasn't paying enough attention and accidentally removed a file by the name of "SoundN__" instead (or something along those lines). Now no audio will work on my computer and I get that annoying buzz sound whenever the audio should be present. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP that the problem is on. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement file or what file to replace even? It tells me no sound device is installed and I am in need of help. :)
Thank you for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

using the maintenence/repair numbers or what ever it called ! on the side of you dell ,go to the website and download and install the sound drivers

Actually, I apologize, because I did that shortly after I posted the message and got it working. But thanks for your help anyways.

Actually, I apologize, because I did that shortly after I posted the message and got it working. But thanks for your help anyways.

your welcome

I need some help please i am so puuling out all of my hair. I have just recently reinstalled mt computer its desktop running windows xp, that was the programme running it before i reinstalled it, once i had done reinstallation i had lost my ethernet card which i ended up downloading the software from google and that ran through intel anyways now i have just decovered that my sound is not working ive done the service chek on run that shows as started i have uninstalled at the devise manager and tried to reinstall but that ddnt work ive tried to download the sound devices for the type of soundcard i have but that does not work when i open my sound and audio i get it showing no audio, and a message saying no active mixer devices what does this mean can somebody help me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and a message saying no active mixer devices what does this mean

it means that the sound drivers are not install or you install the wrong ones ,what is the name of the sound card ,is it a add in pci card or on-board sound device .what if any is the manufactures name ,model of the computer .in device manager is there any red or yellow !!! marks on the sound device

well where the speakers plug into inside the machine on that it says foxconn and yes there are yellow ?'s with !'s on them on the SM Bus controller, Video controller and also a ! on the game card i hope this is of any help

well where the speakers plug into inside the machine on that it says foxconn and yes there are yellow ?'s with !'s on them on the SM Bus controller, Video controller and also a ! on the game card i hope this is of any help

don't suppose you have the Driver cd disk that came with the motherboard .if not you got to fing the manufactor name of each of these items and get drivers from there web sites.
get this program called Everest run it and it will show you everything including the video,sound and chipset makers . Click link below for Everest ,run it and use the panel on the right for each item you need to find out ,like Multimedia for sound ,video ,motherboard for chipset .

http://www.filehippo.com/download/9a382eef69349b01526888d513581c92/download/

ok i installed everest and it come up with this... it says my windows audio shows nothing, pci/pnp shows intel 82801db ich4 ac' 97.... i click on chipset on motherboards and in between memory timins and memory slots it says error correction and comes up with a list Field Value
North Bridge Properties
North Bridge Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
Revision 01
Package Type 760 Pin FC-BGA
Package Size 3.75 cm x 3.75 cm
Core Voltage 1.5 V
In-Order Queue Depth 12

Memory Timings
CAS Latency (CL) 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 7T

Error Correction
ECC Not Supported
ChipKill ECC Not Supported
RAID Not Supported
ECC Scrubbing Not Supported

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type Intel Extreme Graphics
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Shared Memory Size 8 MB

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

i hope this is so
me sort of help

ac 97 drivers.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/intel-ac97-soundmax-driver.html

from the links in your post above go here.
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm

get the 3 files for chip set i845GL.
after you download them and the ac 97 sound drivers from the other link ,install this one first .
"Intel Application Accelerator" ,then reboot computer when asked ,after reboot install the other files downloaded in any order .good luck

I'm having the same problem but I'm getting a new computer soon but I'm wondering if his same problem occurs on vista

I'm having the same problem but I'm getting a new computer soon but I'm wondering if his same problem occurs on vista

only if you get the same Virus or Trojan that caused it ! because that what i think caused the problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.