I have a Dell Latitude C840 (P4 1.6 with 1Gb RAM and 60+GB hdd)

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I didn't see anything similar to my issue. Here goes:

A user at my company has a word document. The size of the document is 754k. There are several flowcharts and graphs embedded in the doc with all kinds of watermarking and headers...basically a pretty complex document that has been built on for a while between several users.

The user complained that when he scrolled down in the document, word would lock up. I had him email the offending doc to me. It does the same thing on my box that it does on his. I scrolled down through the document and when I hit a certain page, word would lock up. WINWORD.EXE showed to be using 99% of the CPU.

A colleague got involved on the task and found that if he removed a particular embedded object he could scroll up and down at his leisure without locking up. I found that the object was a Visio drawing.

The second I remove the drawing, winword releases the CPU.

I've deleted Normal.dot, I've cut and pasted the entire document into a blank one, I've run Ontrack EasyRecovery File Repair...nothing works except for removing the visio object.

Any idea as to what could cause this problem? Obviously the visio object is a big part of the problem, but there must be a reason for it.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I know nothing about viso drawings and word!
Just searched a bit and found this ,about how to add aviso drawing to a word doc.
It may be that when it comes to the viso drawing it is trying to axcess a viso viewer to view the drawing !
I am no dought way off with this!!
http://www.amazingvisio.com/visio_HowTo_ole.htm

Viso viewer .
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3fb3bd5c-fed1-46cf-bd53-da23635ab2df&displaylang=en

If the Visio drawing only needs to appear in Word as a static picture, try using the "Save As..." in Visio to save the document/drawing as a JPEG. Then embed the converted JPEG file instead of the original Visio-format file.

I actually converted the file to a JPG and embedded it, and it worked. The user says that the document is shared and modified by several parties and they want to be able to make changes to the Visio drawing from within the document.

When you right click on the image you have a selection that allows you to open the object in Visio. If you modify it from there and save it, the image is automatically updated in the document. So, this document along with the Visio drawing has mutated over the course of several months.

I am about to try removing the drawing, saving it in Visio 2003 then reinserting it into the document on its own blank page.

I'll keep you posted :-)

Thanques

I was afraid that would be the situation. Visio and Word are two pretty humungous applications; I'm not surprised that things bog down when you're manipulating a file made in one program through the other.

Let us know if your idea works, though.

Well, I inserted a page break, rearranged the text that described the visio object (Figure #1), deleted the object from the doc and pasted into a new Visio drawing then moved it back into the document on the blank page.

Lo and behold, the document doesn't choke word down when I scroll. Unfortunately, however, the document is owned by the legal departments of two separate corporate entities who most likely won't accept the change to the format.

Oh, well. Sometimes you're the windshield...

Well, I inserted a page break, rearranged the text that described the visio object (Figure #1), deleted the object from the doc and pasted into a new Visio drawing then moved it back into the document on the blank page.

Good job!

Lo and behold, the document doesn't choke word down when I scroll. Unfortunately, however, the document is owned by the legal departments of two separate corporate entities who most likely won't accept the change to the format.

Oh no- *groan*... :eek:

Oh, well. Sometimes you're the windshield...

Yup- some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you. :mrgreen:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.