Hi Dani,
Is it acceptable that people give negative rep with flithy abusive words?

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

First of all you should report the post in consideration so that the entire mod team have a look at it and decide whether it violates the site rules or not. With a lot of these things going around lately, I am sure there would be something definite coming out of this.

What I need to do is get around to adding the bad words censor to the reputation comments.

Or start giving warnings to those who do it.

Or start giving warnings to those who do it.

IMHO this is the better plan. It should be considered unacceptable behavior to leave such messages, whether or not the words show up or the comment is rephrased.

~s.o.s~...i totally agree, furthermore do you also think that something should be done about those who give out neg rep which was uneccesary?

~s.o.s~...i totally agree, furthermore do you also think that something should be done about those who give out neg rep which was uneccesary?

That is a matter of opinion, whether it is unnecessary, and I do not think that anything should be done about it. If someone wants to give negative rep they should not be barred from doing so.

>do you also think that something should be done about
>those who give out neg rep which was uneccesary?
What do you suggest? Rep is subjective by nature, so how do you determine what is "unnecessary"? Not to mention that rep is intended as a fun little aside and not a realistic measure of a member's reputation in the community. Don't take it too seriously.

> Don't take it too seriously.
Just because that comment becomes part of a green or a red dot doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously. Had the same comment being written as a post, wouldn't that have looked bad? Wouldn't that have been violation of one of the laws of Daniweb? Yes, that sure would have been.

And as far as applying the bad word filter is concerned don't you think "Dude, what the fu** is a ****** like you doing in this forum? Just eat some sh** and get the f*** off." is very much capable of conveying the message? Just because someone doesn't give a damn doesn't mean that all of Daniweb members should adopt a thick skinned attitude.

By allowing such things to pass by in the form of reputation comments, you leave a big gaping hole in the entire system of 'Keep it pleasant'.

commented: I couldn't agree more! +1
commented: hum aap se sehmad hai :P .. i hope i got it right :cool: +3

Well Narue...i understand that if you get a neg rep...it doesn't mean the end of your life...but some people here to take it more seriously than others. And jasimp...when i say a unnecessary rep..i mean for example a negative rep i got in the c++ forum for telling someone to post their code before helping them and that we don't provide answers for homeworks...was it really necesary to give me a neg rep for that?

The reputation system is meant to be a subjective scale of what other people in the community think of you. If other people think less of you because you help people who don't use code tags and they think that people doing that is a bad thing, then they reserve the right to that opinion. That is something that contributes to the way the rest of the community perceives you and therefore your reputation amongst your peers in the community ... the entire definition of the word "reputation". Members reserve the right to give positive or negative reputation to any member for any reason. Reputation is meant to be a subjective scale of what other people think of you and we all form our own opinions of other people for lots of different reasons.

That aside, the actual reputation comments ARE upheld to the exact same standards as forum posts. If something would violate the Keep It Pleasant rule if it were posted in the forums then it violates the same rule if posted as a reputation comment, and is equally subject to infractions and infraction warnings. Additionally, the same bad words filter in place within forum posts will be put in place for reputation comments as well (feature coming VERY soon).

Just to clarify negative rep was not the problem ,but the flithy comments which came as part of it was of very bad taste.

Yes, to clarify:

Giving reputation is a personal thing, and the management will not step in and say 'you should not have neg repped that person' for that very reason.

Abiding by the rules is a site-wide requirement, so if you are rude and offensive in your blog or even in a reputation comment then you will be warned and/or infracted and you could end up banned if you do not heed those warnings.

The bad words filter now works on the reputation system.

commented: fuck me you're right! +13

One of the nicest things I have enjoyed about Daniweb is the pleasant way in which people write to each other. I have seen, and abandoned, other sites where those who wrote thought that it's "cute" to express themselves with a foul pen. In my humble opinion, those who can't say what has to be said in a civilized manner should quickly be penalized ar even dumped. Negativism can be infectious and it would be a shame to ruin such a wonderful and positive meeting point for those interested in all facets of computers.
Specifically to the point--one can speak negatively about someone without being abusive. It's healthier for everyone that way.

efmesch...welcome aboard & good points!

>one can speak negatively about someone without being abusive.
The problem is that "abusive" is a very subjective description. I don't consider my behavior abusive, but I'm reasonably sure that you would. Would you have me leave Daniweb just because I don't fit your definition of pleasant? Would you feel the same way if I explained my reasons for presenting myself the way that I do and they made perfect sense? There's more to the equation than simply being nice or not nice.

In fact, when it comes to highly technical forums (the software development forums, for example) the general guideline is that if the forum forces everyone to be nice, highly qualified experts will be conspicuously absent. The trick is to find a forum with a happy medium where the rules allow experts to be themselves, but are still strict enough to satisfy the "keep it pleasant" folks. I believe that Daniweb is such a place.

The bad words filter now works on the reputation system.

I can still see the F word in the reputation for this post :P

Member Avatar for iamthwee

> I can still see the F word in the reputation for this post
But are you wearing the Daniweb(TM) specially patented bad word filter glasses? I think not!

> Is it acceptable that people give negative rep with 'flithy' abusive words?
I'm not so sure what you mean by the word flithy? Is it a cross between the words 'filthy' and 'fluffly?' It sounds like a compliment to me?

But are you wearing the Daniweb(TM) specially patented bad word filter glasses? I think not!

Oh damn :( Dani didn't give me any. And I don't wanna steal yours. :P

> I can still see the F word in the reputation for this post

Fixing ...

:) that was quick. cool..

I didn't say fixed yet. I said looking into it :) hehe

I know ! I was talking about your response time. :P

>one can speak negatively about someone without being abusive.
The problem is that "abusive" is a very subjective description. I don't consider my behavior abusive, but I'm reasonably sure that you would. Would you have me leave Daniweb just because I don't fit your definition of pleasant? Would you feel the same way if I explained my reasons for presenting myself the way that I do and they made perfect sense? There's more to the equation than simply being nice or not nice.

In fact, when it comes to highly technical forums (the software development forums, for example) the general guideline is that if the forum forces everyone to be nice, highly qualified experts will be conspicuously absent. The trick is to find a forum with a happy medium where the rules allow experts to be themselves, but are still strict enough to satisfy the "keep it pleasant" folks. I believe that Daniweb is such a place.

I appreciated your pleasant answer. I hope it doesn't reflect negatively on your qualifications as a computer expert. Incidently, brusque, frank, open, forward etc. are perfectly acceptable in my opinion--no need to beat around the bush when you want to say something--even critical. But that doesn't require obscenities--as you have proven.
You're a man after my own heart.

>>You're a man after my own heart.
what makes you think Narue is a man ??? :)

AD...thx for the good laughter...is it just me or is the community reputation at a stand still...i've given someone some reps and their points remain the same...someone gave me rep..and my community reputation remained the same?

Reputation does not count in the Coffee House.

Oh ok...thx for the clarification!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.