Hello,

This thread is in reference to this thread: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread1093.html

If it were not for Duoas, the thread would have continued although the OP had posted it four years back. This happens because new posters like Knightzs are not fully aware of the rules over here. We cannot delete the threads because it is possible that someone after sometime can have the same problem. So it is good to keep it for his reference. But, can we just add a feature so that after a certain amount of time, the thread is not deleted, but it is closed? ( This does not apply to the threads named Read me: )

-Jishnu.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>But, can we just add a feature so that after a certain
>amount of time, the thread is not deleted, but it is closed?
There's really nothing wrong with re-opening a discussion as long as it's relevant. The problem is bumping ancient threads with a "me too!" post, or to ask an unrelated question. However, I don't think that happens often enough to warrant forum logic to stop it. I've also been a member of forums that closed threads after a certain amount of time, and it was surprisingly annoying.

Even though it results in more work on my part as a moderator, I'd still recommend against an automatic solution.

If a thread has been answered already, it can be marked as solved, and a note gets added encouraging people to start new threads instead of hijacking the thread.

If a thread hasn't been solved, I don't see any reason why future people couldn't have something valuable to contribute. Even if the OP no longer is interested in the question, others out there might be.

Okay, I understand.

This happens because new posters like Knightzs are not fully aware of the rules over here.

And why is that? Aren't the rules clear? :icon_wink:

The rules are crystal clear. But, perhaps you've heard the Murphy's Laws. One of them goes like this.

"When all else fails, read the instructions".

Somehow, they shun reading. Their hands itch to work on the new technology/tools. They jump headalong into it. "After all, what new they can make, it must be some modifications on the old system which is simply a matter of few clicks" is their line of thinking. They read the instructions only when they get stuck. I hope I'm clear.

commented: Murphy's law doesn't explain everything. -2
commented: I like that law :) +20
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.