Dani- I think it would be a good idea to further explain reputation to new members. There are always so many threads started because people do not understand how it works. Most recently, this one: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread108977.html

It also took me a while before I figured out what was going on.. I think if you send them an introductory pm explaining how the reputation works (or if you already do, then think about making the message more understandable :)). This would save us time from having to explain to every new member via threads.

WaltP commented: Search -- lots of threads -2

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Stop Giving Me Bad Rep For Every Post you Think Is Wrong........

Can Someone Add Me To This Morons Blocked List Please?????

Hey ass, don't hijack my thread. This is serious.

I've been told that I can only bad rep posts that deserve it... so, that's what I'm going to do. If you really want to help out members in the professional forums, then please make sure you posses the knowledge to do so.

I think it would be a good idea to further explain reputation to new members.

I think most new members couldn't care less about Rep. They come here, want an answer to their problem (pleaze helpz mee!!!!11 lol!) and disappear.
The people who DO stick with the site can check how the rep system works by searching for it like you did.
The new members already have a lot of information coming their way and most of them don't even pay attention to that. A few weeks back I saw that a Mod gave a new member Reputation for using code tags. That's just to indicate how special it is that a new member actually reads all the info he/she is given.

Niek

commented: (pleaze helpz mee!!!!11 lol!) hahahaha :P +4

. A few weeks back I saw that a Mod gave a new member Reputation for using code tags. That's just to indicate how special it is that a new member actually reads all the info he/she is given.

Niek

I will do that for new members that take the time to read and understand the rules and how to post code. It is somewhat rare that a new member will do that.

I agree that if the rep rules were further explained in that intoductory message most newcomers wouldn't bother to read it.

Well, obviously the members who stick around or who want to know more about the rep system either aren't searching for information about it or simply don't understand it.

If there was a pm sent out that was titled "Daniweb Reputation System" or something similar, then at least the members would read the title. If at first they do not read the message, then later on when they first start to encounter reputation.. they will remember the pm, and refer back to it instead of posting a thread inquiring about it.

No thoughts on this by the admins? :-/

Something is in the works regarding this but those of you without access to Area 51 will have to wait and be surprised.

Ah, man... We should implement something like, all members who have been around for 2 years and 7 months should have access to Area 51. :) Ehh, ehh? Watcha think?

Well, either that.. or just all the best members such as myself. :)

Something is in the works regarding this but those of you without access to Area 51 will have to wait and be surprised.

Wow! I can't wait to be surprised :P

commented: You don't have to wait, just look in the mirror and you will be so surprised you'll sh*t yourself. +13
commented: Don't mind thwee, he is speaking from personal experience methinks. +20
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.