Hi, and welcome to TechTalk.

Perhaps the first thing you should do is have a good read of the information contained in our FAQ section:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?

There you will find:

Forum Rules and policies, Webmaster Information, Privacy policy.

User Maintenance, General forum usage, Reading and posting messages.

There is quite a lot of information contained in the articles you will find at those links, and I'm sure that it will be enough to answer most of your initial queries about using this Forum.

When you've come to grips with all that, you might want to head into the 'Control Panel' for your user account to see if you'd like to make some changes to the way you have the Forum working for you. There are a range of Settings available to change the way your posts display, and to edit your personal account details.

Most importantly, if you click on the 'Edit options' menu item, you can alter the way the forum works for you. Of particular relevence are settings to change the way you are notified about new posts in topics you've posted in. Your default setting is to inform you of new posts as a weekly summary via email. You can change that to instant notification if you like, so that you are informed immediately if someone has answered your question.

Also, there is the option to alter the interface for the message editor. You can set it to a text editor only, to a Standard editor with formatting controls, or even to a full 'What you see is what you get' interface, with formatting displayed as you create it.

Please feel free to explore the alternatives available to you, and make any changes to your account profile that you wish to put into place.

That all said, however, there are doubtless some features and procedures that aren't readily apparent on reading through the basic FAQ sections of the forum. So I'll invite experienced forum members to post short 'Guides' to using some of the more obscure (or not so obscure) facets of forum use.

Dani commented: Very lovely. :) +10

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Posting links to websites.

You may have noticed that other forum members have included links to web pages in their posts, and be wondering how to do it. It's quite easy.

If the link you want to post is quite short in length, you can simply right-click on the link and choose 'Copy'. Then Right-click in the 'Reply' box and choose 'Paste' (or simply hold the Ctrl key down and hit the 'V' key) The url for the website will automatically display as a link.

But if the link is an especially long one, it will push the forum page out of shape, causing the need for others to scroll sideways in order to read the page. To avoid this outcome, use the 'Insert link' button above the text entry box and copy the link into the dialogue popup there. That way the link will be 'shortened' when it appears on the forum page.

You might also have noticed that some people have 'embedded' links to web pages, so that when you click on the underlined words in the text of a post, you are sent to the relevent web page.

This is quite simple to do as well. Type your post out, then highlight the words you wish to turn into links. Then use the 'Insert link' button and copy the link into the dialogue box. The link will be embedded for you!

Your default setting is to inform you of new posts as a weekly summary via email. You can change that to instant notification if you like, so that you are informed immediately if someone has answered your question.

As of somewhat recently, instant notification is now the default for new members. The specified settings of existing members has remained intact.

Why do 'smiley faces' show up in my posts, when I didn't click on them?

You might notice that, from time to time, you've typed out and submitted a post, but it doesn't didplay correctly. Instead of the textual information you've typed, one of the little 'emoticons' will be included within your text. The reason is quite simple, and the solution just as simple :D

Emoticons are simply special combinations of characters, which are scanned for, and which are replaced with a tiny image! The broad smile above, for example, is denoted by a colon ":" followed immediately by a capital "D". Whenever this character combination is encountered in a Daniweb post, that emoticon will appear.

The same is true for all the other emoticons. A 'smile' is a colon ":" followed by a right, round bracket symbol ")", a 'wink' is a semi-colon ";" followed by a right, round bracket ")".

Most often, you will encounter this problem when typing out lists, or when enclosing text and other information within brackets. Simply include a space between the characters involved, and the problem will not show up :)

Cheers.

how do i get help with my qbasic homework?

This topic isn't really intended for people to ask questions in. As mentioned:

That all said, however, there are doubtless some features and procedures that aren't readily apparent on reading through the basic FAQ sections of the forum. So I'll invite experienced forum members to post short 'Guides' to using some of the more obscure (or not so obscure) facets of forum use.

But it can be difficult for newcomers to work out where to place their question on a site which covers such a wide range of topics. Taking the time to explorer the menu system and have a look at the range of categories available is worthwhile. Quite a few sections are 'nested' and don't appear on the main menu.

In raleman's instance, the correct section would be found by digging down through the 'Software Development' section. One of the options below that is 'Legacy and other languages', and below that there is a section for 'BASIC and QBASIC'.

Bingo! :D

If it's not apparent to you where to place your question after browsing through the various levels of the menu system here, you can feel free to ask for assistance in the 'Introductions' section of 'Coffee House'. That's part of the reason we have that section :)

Hi,

I've looked thru the FAQ, searched the forums, and still can't figure out why my gmail address was ruled invalid for registration. I would like to change to my Gmail address for notifications, etc.

OK, I found the solution. I changed the page encoding to Western European (Windows) and I was able to change my email address.

You may use the Webmaster Marketplace forum to post that you are offering an online service (such as advertising) that is directly related to a webmaster audience. It is not meant for advertising your website, products for sale, etc.

Is there a place in this forum for promoting a free directory?

You can submit your site into our directory at http://www.daniweb.com/directory/ in the relevant category, and depending upon the amount of traffic you send to us, your link will be featured on our high traffic forum pages.

On the topic of the link directory, I've submitted the link to my web site, and apparently it is supposed to be visible in my profile, as a thumbnail etc, but all I see is the link to it. Am I missing something.

I see the link.....

Did you provide a JPG image link to show as a thumbnail??

I reckon thats the only way to show a clickable thumbnail :)

thankyou men

On the topic of the link directory, I've submitted the link to my web site, and apparently it is supposed to be visible in my profile, as a thumbnail etc, but all I see is the link to it. Am I missing something.

I see it just fine from your profile?

Yes. It's been there for a while. I'd forgotten about this thread. Thanks for the reply.

Hey
Was just wondering if there is a way to un-attach, Attachments in a thread?

Because i was having problem with my project and i put problem code up and an attachment of my hangman.java and NumberGame.java code which was more or less finished (Also got some great advise).
But on second thoughts was probably not a good idea as i don't want to be giving students like me a fully worked out answer with out putting in the effort themselves as this is a common question in software courses and also knowing that there are always people in these courses (ie my course) that would trail the net for days looking for code if it means that they don't have to write it.

I thought there would be an option to un-attach a file?

Thanks Stephen

How do we report bad posts - like a bump to a 3 year old thread?

"Flag Bad Post" button it's on every post. Although usually a thread bump is just left alone.

How do we report bad posts - like a bump to a 3 year old thread?

Thats not a bad post.. (Nothing wrong with dates)

I have seen it done more here than one any other site im on.. (Nothing wrong with it though)

>Thats not a bad post.. (Nothing wrong with dates)
Assuming the bump is relevant, of course.

Yes of course :)

I dont reply to a 3yr old thread unless i have something to add :)

I gonna put this here, coz I went through 2pgs of this forum and didnt find a thread on it.

I would like to know why I cannot edit/modify my own posts?
- Ok nevermind, the edit button miraculously appeared as soon as I posted this message - I swear it wasnt there for the last two days!

Ok, new question: Why can I not edit/modify my own posts in selected threads? for example; I replied to PHP Recursion, but after posting I noticed that I had made an error in the code I provided. I would like to rectify this but I cannot edit/modify the post.

You have 30 minutes to edit your post. After that, the edit button disappears.

Only the first link of original post is working:

Start new thread with updated information and remove sticky from old post?

I would like to erase my user id and quit the community permanently.
How do I do this?

I would like to erase my user id and quit the community permanently.
How do I do this?

I would like to refer you to the following 2 threads regarding closing your account at DaniWeb:

1. Thread 1
  2. Thread 2

Long story short, you can't delete your account... However, you are perfectly entitled to simply not log into the account any further if you so decide.

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wishing to continue your interaction with the DaniWeb community and, while I hate to see anyone leave, it's likely none of my business as to why you've decided to do so.

Hope this helps though :)

The second and third link on this page are broken. They open a page saying:

Invalid FAQ Item specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Just thought you might want to know.

Perhaps the first thing you should do is have a good read of the information contained in our FAQ section:

There you will find:

There is quite a lot of ...

There you will find:

There is quite a lot of information contained in the articles you will find at those links, and I'm sure that it will be enough to answer most of your initial queries about using this Forum.

When you've come to grips with all that, you might want to head into the 'Control Panel' for your user account to see if you'd like to make some changes to the way you have the Forum working for you. There are a range of Settings available to change the way your posts display, and to edit your personal account details.

Most importantly, if you click on the 'Edit options' menu item, you can alter the way the forum works for you. Of particular relevence are settings to change the way you are notified about new posts in topics you've posted in. Your default setting is to inform you of new posts as a weekly summary via email. You can change that to instant notification if you like, so that you are informed immediately if someone has answered your question.

Also, there is the option to alter the interface for the message editor. You can set it to a text editor only, to a Standard editor with formatting controls, or even to a full 'What you see is what you get' interface, with formatting displayed as you create it.

Please feel free to explore the alternatives available to you, and make any changes to your account profile that you wish to put into place.

I was in the community center - community feedback and I clicked on a link which was supposed to take me to forum rules but this is what I got:

Invalid FAQ Item specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

So that is what I am trying to do, notify the administrator

Thank you

I was in the community center - community feedback and I clicked on a link which was supposed to take me to forum rules but this is what I got:

Clicking on Member Rules at the top of the page works fine. Be more specific about what "a link" means.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.