Hi all hope you are well. A thought just occurred to me....is it possible to give reputation points to a member who has made a suitable contribution to the daniweb community, in a way that is not specific to any individual post. for example if a member has written an interesting blog, or has contributed in some way to the site and its members - albeit not in a post (therefore not in a thread), can I give them rep for that (without finding a post of thiers and commenting in the rep points why I gave them the rep)?? if not, would it be a good idea to have such a system in place? Hope that makes sense, waffled on a little there lol. Thank you for your time!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I know exactly what you are talking about because I thought of the same thing yesterday.

As of right now, the forum system relies on reputation while the blogs and code snippets rely on a 5 star rating system. (For example, if someone wrote a blog entry, you can see what its average rating is, how many people rated, in addition to the overall average rating of all entries by the user).

Creating a unified rating system does make sense, but it would take awhile to code, so is more likely something a month or so down the line. There are a couple of things that I want to accomplish first, such as adding a 'Flag Bad Post' link to the blogs and code snippets.

Creating a unified rating system does make sense, but it would take awhile to code, so is more likely something a month or so down the line. There are a couple of things that I want to accomplish first, such as adding a 'Flag Bad Post' link to the blogs and code snippets.

But is it something that needs to be done? I'd recommend getting other input as to whether the time should be put into this. I'm not convinced.

in tech talk, can we have a "best answer" thing? like on those q & a sites

ok all, thanks for the responses. LOL @ Jasimp there gmta eh?

back to what Dani said about the 5 star system, are these ratings anonymous? I just wondered because I always think that non - anonymous compliments are better than anonymous ! if you see what I mean. They kind of seem more real if you follow....

> are these ratings anonymous?
Yes, they are. We keep track of who voted what in the database but don't publish this.

For what it's worth, I think the current reputation system is fine. Why do we need another rating system that fails to accurately evaluate other members, meanwhile causing confusion, complaints and headaches, yada yada yada?

I think we need more focus on the content and less on silly rating and ranking systems for the members who post it. Just in my arrogant opinion™.

good point there John A, I agree a new system is not required and that the rep system is not the be all and end all of daniweb, I just thought that the modification to the rep system I mentione could be a good idea

> I think we need more focus on the content and less on silly rating and ranking systems for
> the members who post it.

Believe it or not, there are people out there who actually feel like helping others if they get something in return; and things like post ratings, reputations, best answer etc. actually makes them happy. Think of it as a motivator for the majority out there. :-)

I'm not saying that we should remove the current reputation system in place (although I know I've said that in the past), what I'm saying right now is that we sure as heck don't need another rating system. We've got plenty enough already.

ok everyone, thanks for the replies. Just wanted your ideas on the proposal. Cheers!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.