Over the past few months, I've periodically added feature requests to my list of things to do. However, my brain seems to have misplaced that list and I can't remember if there's anything I had said I'd do that I didn't yet get around to.

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

offtopic, But the font used in search box doesn't look too good. The font size is large. Please check the screenshot!

I don't remember if you agreed to do it, but a full back history of reputation comments (as opposed to the most recent 15) in the user control panel would be fab.

nav33n: It's been like this for the past month. I'm running a test to see if it increases the number of people who search before they post. Additionally, DaniWeb visitors who use our search feature end up spending more than 5X longer on our site than users who don't search, so that's another reason I'm trying to put more emphasis on that section.

Narue, where we left it with that was that it would be the first time we'd be giving everyone access all in one place to all of the reputation comments that people had to say about other people before rep became public. I had wanted to get feedback as to whether you thought that would be opening us up to flame wars.

The site is looking good Dani!!

Excellent Job tweaking her :)

nav33n: It's been like this for the past month. I'm running a test to see if it increases the number of people who search before they post. Additionally, DaniWeb visitors who use our search feature end up spending more than 5X longer on our site than users who don't search, so that's another reason I'm trying to put more emphasis on that section.

Cool ! :)

>I had wanted to get feedback as to whether you thought
>that would be opening us up to flame wars.
I'm not particularly worried about it, but if you think it's a serious problem (I don't) then there could be a time cap where the back log stops when rep went public.

Removing "Posting Games" from a user's total post count would be just awesome.

Removing "Posting Games" from a user's total post count would be just awesome.

im up for that, then people can stop calling me spammer

- You can now view all of your reputation in your control panel. :)

- There are now links in the sidebar to get to the main forum index, blog index, etc. from any page.

- Sorry, I'm not really keen on not counting postcount outside of hidden staff forums. Regardless of where in the site you choose to participate, Posting Games included, the time you spend on DaniWeb should count for something. However, as you know, reputation and the solved threads statistic (which are much more meaningful than postcount) don't count in the coffee house.

Oh, also ... the look of the code snippets section has been changed. The list of syntax languages was getting unmanagably long (and will forever continue to do so since anyone can specify any language they wish). Therefore, it was put into a scrollbox of sorts. It's definitely one of those either you love it or you hate it type of things. We're going to keep it for now. Don't complain too much :)

> - You can now view all of your reputation in your control panel.

Yay! :-)

> Removing "Posting Games" from a user's total post count would be just awesome.

However nice it might sound, it would just end up doing injustice to people who invest their time in Daniweb to make it buzzing with activity. :-)

> im up for that, then people can stop calling me spammer

You shouldn't let such small things bother you; you are what you are. And I am pretty sure that most of us who call you that do it just to poke fun at you in a playful manner, nothing else.

Agree with ~s.o.s~ here, members have just as much right to spend their time with us in the lounges or playing posting games if that is what they like about the community. We already ensure that activity here does no reflect within the reputation score, there is no need to try and punish them by reducing their post count just because they like the social side of DaniWeb more than the 'serious' side.

I wonder how many point people would have if points counted on EVERY BASE..

Been there done that ... Christina>you had the most amount of rep points :)

yep, and i had like 5/6 blocks, now i got like 4

Looking back in my rep-history I saw I got rep once for reporting a bad post. Does this rep fall into the 'coffee house' category? Just wondering...

Niek

Looking back in my rep-history I saw I got rep once for reporting a bad post. Does this rep fall into the 'coffee house' category? Just wondering...

Niek

Yes

On-Topic:

One thing that's still an issue is the parsing of smilies in [icode]

[/icode] tags" Show::Draw() Joe mentioned this somewhere in the past.

Niek

[edit]Joe mentioned it here

And I found some other strange behaviour.
I was browsing through the java forum when I found this thread which was closed and thus caught my interrest :)
cutseyPrincess had a red dot for reputation. I clicked her profile and saw she only had one positive rep given to here. But here overall rep is negative... Is this a bug?

bug i think

Maybe someone with rep power more than 20 gave her a negative rep and now its not visible ?

cutseyPrincess had a red dot for reputation. I clicked her profile and saw she only had one positive rep given to here. But here overall rep is negative... Is this a bug?

I recall a negative rep on one of her posts that I deleted. I suppose the rep attached to a post still applies to the total even if the post is soft deleted.

I suppose the rep attached to a post still applies to the total even if the post is soft deleted.

It is a good thing that happens. It was a very rude post towards jwenting that him and I both gave negative rep to. "princess" deserves her negative rep.

How about "Please no leet speak" along with

Read me first
wrap code in [code ] [/code ]
Use [code=language ] [/code ]

(in 'post quick reply box' and 'Advance reply box') ?

P.S. Another guest got thrashed for the same (da,kewl,...) here

Hey, I have an even better idea. Let's put the entire DaniWeb rules into a watermark for the quick reply and advanced reply boxes. That way, no one will break our rules ever again.

commented: :icon_lol: +14

That sounds kind of...creepy. ;-)

Hey, I have an even better idea. Let's put the entire DaniWeb rules into a watermark for the quick reply and advanced reply boxes. That way, no one will break our rules ever again.

Wow! Your idea is undoubtedly better than mine ! ;)

Over the past few months, I've periodically added feature requests to my list of things to do. However, my brain seems to have misplaced that list and I can't remember if there's anything I had said I'd do that I didn't yet get around to.

You forgot to make me a mod. I'm certain that was on your list :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.