Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'd like to know what pisses you off about DaniWeb?

Please - let's avoid getting into any long discussions or debates about any single issue. I'm just looking for short 'n' sweet ideas/suggestions/examples about what you don't like, what pisses you off, what frustrates you, etc.

I'll start it off:

Currently on the table are:

IntelliTXT ads
Only allowing two colors (green/red)
Small quick reply box
Hover tooltips
Flash-based ads
Tab indents for code are too big
People don't use code tags
Too much advertising

Even if I don't agree with everyone's grievances, or choose to take action on all of them, I *do* want to at least be aware of all of them, and also get a general idea of which ones are more important to people, and how many people are annoyed by the same thing.

Recommended Answers

All 127 Replies

Here's my list of things I hate:

• Posting Games
  • Geek's Lounge
  • L33t Sp33k
  • IntelliTXT
  • Idiots
  • People who don't use code tags and/or idiots
  • Spammers
  • People who don't know how to use Google
  • People who insist on breaking rules
  • People complaining about reputation
  • People complaining about post count
  • People complaining about DaniWeb

Oh, and lastly, people who don't have anything better to do than complain. Yea, that pisses me off. :)

not having the "wrap code tags" button or smilies in quick reply

People not using Code tags really bugs me too.

people who say "pisses me off" in the subject title of threads :)

Seriously: code tags thing is probably the #1 complaint.

pissed is allowed

apart from the ads (im not against the concept of ads, just the volume of them) , i think daniweb is great. A few minor gripes however.

1) two colours only
2) having to go advanced to upload attatchments (IMHO the size of the box itself is fine)
3) the site is becoming too big. Too many forums. many newbies dont know where to go. Possibly reorganise (kill of dead boards?)

4) could you improve the moderation process by making it so that can go into a menu in our CP, and see all unanswered reported posts in forums which we are in charge of. that would be really handy rather than having to comb through the reported posts board

If I were to make a list, it would largely be a subset of John's. That said, here's my list:
* Posting Games
* Lack of interesting content in the Geek's Lounge (I mean, I like the idea of an off-topic forum but this one largely borders on junk)
* Not being able to directly accept CC payments for sponsorship (I'll put up with paypal since I'm nice though :P)
* Tab size for posted code
* Narrow size of site content. One of the best parts of PFO is that the content fills the page (especially when posting code segments, since wrapping code is annoying).

Admittedly, I never knew the site had much embedded advertising until a while after I'd become a sponsor, so the advertising doesn't bother me at all. Yay for Adblock+.

* Not being able to directly accept CC payments for sponsorship (I'll put up with paypal since I'm nice though )

Biggie for me. And please please please allow one off payments. Recurring charges are bad.

These are what i find annoying.

Small quick reply box (and it having no code tag button )
Tab indents for code are too big

4) could you improve the moderation process by making it so that can go into a menu in our CP, and see all unanswered reported posts in forums which we are in charge of. that would be really handy rather than having to comb through the reported posts board

I would love this too. Remember suggesting something like this when emails were disabled for reported post notifications. Right now, I use the hover tooltips as an alternative to find out if a reported post is under my jurisdiction. But because of the time difference between USA and Japan, most of the reported posts are solved when I wakeup or go home after work, so I don't find it much of a problem in my end.

Here's my list of things I hate:

• Posting Games
  • Geek's Lounge

You hate the Geek's lounge, but you have 500 posts in it? Very strange...
Anyway: I'd like to add the parsing of smilies in [icode]

[/icode] tags to the lists of things

Example: [icode]

[/icode] Picture::Draw() Example: [code]

[/code]

Picture::Draw()

I would love this too. Remember suggesting something like this when emails were disabled for reported post notifications. Right now, I use the hover tooltips as an alternative to find out if a reported post is under my jurisdiction. But because of the time difference between USA and Japan, most of the reported posts are solved when I wakeup or go home after work, so I don't find it much of a problem in my end.

i have the same problem. I live in england so we are on GMT 0 timezone

please please please allow one off payments by credit/debiot card

In order.

People using leet speek
Spammers

It really doesn't matter how many times you poke the noobs in the eye with "please use code tags messages", I counted 5 just a couple of days ago, and that excludes anything which may appear in the signup information, and they STILL don't get it on a regular basis. I'm always amazed (to the point of giving rep) when a noob with 1-post actually gets it right.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

What pisses you off ?

Drop down doesn't works in Safari < This thing drives me crazy, Anyway in IE and FF everything is fine right now.

doesn't works in Safari

blame apple

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

blame apple

ohhh....so its Apple's fault !
Anyway its a fastest browser...;)

probably apples fault, yes

i mean IE6 is probably the least standards compliant browser in existance, and it has no problems with the dropdowns hence my conclusion that safari must be crap

>I'd like to know what pisses you off about DaniWeb?
The fact that each page is noticeably slow to load (between 1 and 4 seconds for threads and just enough to throw me off on the main forum list), even with ads disabled. This wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if the page weren't mostly unresponsive for the load time.

yeah i esp. hate it when the top loads, but not the bottom.

Impolite posters.
arrogant posters, who think personally offending someone is a good idea.
non code taggers (again).
text speak.
Typing errors (we are all guilty of that at some point though, but there is a limit to how much one can take!)
Not necessarily in that order though !

"text speak"

yeah i gave someone an infraction for that earlier. 90% of his posts (he has like 200 so should know better) were written in "leet speek" e.g "u know m8 lol y u askn?"

commented: Your post sounds rather familiar ;) +4

I think I know whom of which you speak there JBennet!

Like everyone else, I hate people that don't use code tags. Seriously, is it that hard?

To repeat John A

People who don't know how to use Google

I frequently find myself googling to find an answer -- the OP could have done that before making his/her post.

Here are mine:

Watermarks in the reply box. Put that message OUTSIDE the box. It is maddening to the mildly dyslexic, because it makes the text impossible to read once it is typed.

The reply box clearing when I navigate away to get something to paste in there.

The insertion point disappearing from the reply box.

Ads taking over the browser, preventing scrolling until the ad shuts up. This is usually an ad that uses 100 percent CPU time.

Ads causing the browser to scroll to the ad (and away from the reply window) during a post.

IntelliTXT ads - maddening to the mildly dyslexic. Not accessible. That includes that BOOKMARKS button. The movement causes the visual cortex image to refresh, emptying the mental equivalent of a text buffer.

Hover tooltips - maddening to the mildly dyslexic. Not accessible, as above. Let us turn it off if it is pesky.

Flash-based ads - Moving ads are maddening to the mildly dyslexic. Not accessible.

Use of overloaded ad servers, slowing the loading of a page or preventing it from completing.

Too much advertising is not the problem. Intrusive advertising is the problem. When ads take over the computer, it's intrusive.

People who give negative reputations to others who disagree with their political beliefs.

Text that won't wrap in the code sections (it goes under the sidebar).

The inactivity timeout is too short, as is the time allowed to edit.

People who complain about posts to old topics.

Too much scrolling. You have to scroll down twice just to get to the content of the page.

Here are mine:

Watermarks in the reply box. Put that message OUTSIDE the box. It is maddening to the mildly dyslexic, because it makes the text impossible to read once it is typed.

The reply box clearing when I navigate away to get something to paste in there.

The insertion point disappearing from the reply box.

Ads taking over the browser, preventing scrolling until the ad shuts up. This is usually an ad that uses 100 percent CPU time.

Ads causing the browser to scroll to the ad (and away from the reply window) during a post.

IntelliTXT ads - maddening to the mildly dyslexic. Not accessible. That includes that BOOKMARKS button. The movement causes the visual cortex image to refresh, emptying the mental equivalent of a text buffer.

Hover tooltips - maddening to the mildly dyslexic. Not accessible, as above. Let us turn it off if it is pesky.

Flash-based ads - Moving ads are maddening to the mildly dyslexic. Not accessible.

Use of overloaded ad servers, slowing the loading of a page or preventing it from completing.

Too much advertising is not the problem. Intrusive advertising is the problem. When ads take over the computer, it's intrusive.

People who give negative reputations to others who disagree with their political beliefs.

Text that won't wrap in the code sections (it goes under the sidebar).

The inactivity timeout is too short, as is the time allowed to edit.

People who complain about posts to old topics.

Aren't you forgetting something ? There is one more thing to that list.. People who wants to disable right click, change the color of the scrollbar, etc ? ;)

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention what I don't like.
1. Those who don't use code tags.
2. Those who post 200+ lines of code without mentioning what the exact problem is.
3. Those who PM me asking for help !
4. And 'wholesale phone dealers' !

Aren't you forgetting something ? There is one more thing to that list.. People who wants to disable right click, change the color of the scrollbar, etc ?

Condense that to:

People who want to take over control of other people's computers.

Condense that to:

People who want to take over control of other people's computers.

Right !

Here are mine:
ads
ads
ads
etc

John A has explained in more then one topic how to get rid of all the ads, tooltips, javascripts etc. IntelliTXT can even be disabled in your control panel.

3. Those who PM me asking for help !

Oh yeah... >> "Hey Nkkie_Ekk, PLLZZZ helps me sol ve ths PRoBLEMZZ LOL w00t"
:(

off topic: w00t may very well be the most stupid leet-word ever

commented: Thank you for the information -_- +5

i like w00t

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.