I tried to upload a *.zip file in this thread (post #28) and it failed. I thought zip files were acceptable.

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

Hi there AD, I believe it is acceptable to post Zip's. How large is your file?

The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.

That was taken from a search made in the DaniWeb FAQ for attachments. Sounds like DaniWeb is picking on ya lol Were you ever able to upload a Zip?

I still can not upload them.

Upload of file failed.

The zip file is only 682K.

[edit]Thinking it might be too big, I deleted some stuff and reduced the zip size to 7K. upload still fails.[/edit]

How odd, guess we should wait for Cscgal to add to this...

zips should be fine. In the past i have uploaded a few megs worth of html/php/css/jpegs in a zip file

zips should be fine. In the past i have uploaded a few megs worth of html/php/css/jpegs in a zip file

Have you tried uploading a zip file recently?

Valid file extensions: bmp c cpp doc gif h java jpe jpeg jpg js pdf php png psd swf txt xml zip

Try posting one in this thread in a reply.

Try posting one in this thread in a reply.

Test to see if it works in a reply

Result of test: doesn't work.

I can confirm this issue. Zip attachments cannot be uploaded right now.

Works for me.

Testing testing 1 2 3.

Odd. So it's only me and Ancient Dragon that get this error message?

i think thats just an intermittant bug.I got one a few days ago when uploading .jpg images

Its working for me this morning, don't know why.

That is strange AD, perhaps the bug is fixed/gone away now!

Maybe its just intermittant, like my jpeg problem

Works for me too now.

Why the sudden interest in zip files? Some of us can't open them.

It's not that you compulsorily need Winzip to open .zip files; they can be opened or processed using free softwares like 7zip.

Why the sudden interest in zip files? Some of us can't open them.

why not? If your computer is running *nix then the contents of the zip files may not be usable anyway.

Most modern operating systems have built in zip functionality (yes, even *nix OSs), not to mention the vast amounts of free unzipping software freely available on the web. If you can't open zips, you're either incompetent or you're using a stone age OS which isn't supported anymore. Sorry to be so blunt, but maybe you should just figure it out yourself and stop complaining.

yeah, to be fair, zips have been common since windows 3.1

yeah, to be fair, zips have been common since windows 3.1

Long before that, even.

So what would you suggest, Midi so 100% of the people can use the files? Instead of only 99%... :icon_rolleyes:

Most modern operating systems have built in zip functionality (yes, even *nix OSs), not to mention the vast amounts of free unzipping software freely available on the web. If you can't open zips, you're either incompetent or you're using a stone age OS which isn't supported anymore. Sorry to be so blunt, but maybe you should just figure it out yourself and stop complaining.

There are two different reasons I can't use zip files on the two different computers I use:

- At work, it has been DISABLED by the college sysops. Someone once opened a zip file with a virus inside, and the virus was spread to many computers from the college IT system. This resulted in hundreds of lawsuits, so their lawyers went into panic mode, and the board of trustees ordered the IT people to remove the capability.

- At home, one compressed file format the unzip software responds to has the same file extension that a piece of music recording software I have uses for music encoding files. I had to uninstall the zip application from Windows to keep it from destroying the music files.

So what would you suggest, Midi so 100% of the people can use the files? Instead of only 99%...

Don't compress files unless you have to. The file I wanted to open was only 5 K.

- At home, one compressed file format the unzip software responds to has the same file extension that a piece of music recording software I have uses for music encoding files. I had to uninstall the zip application from Windows to keep it from destroying the music files.

God thats a terrible reason to uninstall the zip program. The simple solution is to unzip files in a different directory. WinZip allows you to unzip files anywhere you want to, or even create a new directory for them, and I suppose all other zip programs do too.

or just change the file associations....

Retarded people don't have money so nobody cares whether zip files work on their computers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.