For some time now, the images attached to posts have been unreadable. I never thought of this as a problem until I realized that when people aren't using code-tags, I always refer them to this thread . But since the images are mutilated beyond recognition, this thread won't teach newbies how to use code tags anymore. Which is a shame because it's a good manual.
Is there any way to fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

They always look like that on my computer. Thought it was just me because I have the font size set pretty high on my computer.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with settings, or that the images look crap with everyone.

I use 1280*800 with 'normal' text-size.
Windows XP Firefox 2.0.0.14

Fine to me. 1280x1024 on IE7, Brand new fully-patches XP Home Sp3 install.

Bug with FF or widescreens?

I use 1280*800 with 'normal' text-size.
Windows XP Firefox 2.0.0.14

Same. Looks fine to me.

Image text mostly unreadable here. 1280x1024 on Firefox 2.0.014.

Now that I think about it a little more this was discussed not to long ago. All you have to do is middle click with the mouse wheel on the image. Then magnify it.

Middle-clicking the image view overlay (or whatever that is that pops over the screen) in Firefox will just open the underlying thread in a new tab. Right-clicking and choosing View Image does show an uncluttered version of the image though.

The garbling of the image seems to be related to whatever that overlay component is that shows the image attachment.

oh, now i see what you mean

It all depends on the size of the browser window that you're using, because if the image can't fit in your browser window, it will automatically be scaled to as large as possible within the current browser window you're using, which can often affect the readability of text in a screenshot.

On some browsers, such as Firefox, middle-clicking on the image thumbnail will open it in a new tab. On others you can right-click and choose to "open link in new tab" or something to that effect. That said, I don't really like the default way images are displayed right now, particularly when trying to view DaniWeb on older computers.

One workaround when attaching images yourself is to use the [attach]number[/attach] tags (where 'number' is the attachment number). When posted, it actually bypasses the regular image viewing scheme and will automatically open the image in a new window (or a new tab, depending on your configuration). For example:

[attach]6124[/attach]

It depends on whether your browser image rendering setting is set to "shrink to fit" or "scroll large images."

If it is shrinking to fit, text on a saved image may shrink too small for the display resolution on the screen you have.

>It depends on whether your browser image rendering setting is set to "shrink to fit" or "scroll
>large images."

Nope, that won't do any good. Normal image attachments on DaniWeb open over top of the page using some sort of AJAX/Javascript and gets scaled through that (I don't really know or care to know the details of how it works), rendering any "scroll large images" option on your browser useless.

Now that I think about it a little more this was discussed not to long ago. All you have to do is middle click with the mouse wheel on the image. Then magnify it.

You're right, I remember.
But my point is that the beautifull and simple guide to using code-tags (by Aia in the C-forum) will be unreadable for 50%(?) of the people I send there. And I'm not going to say:
"Here a guide to code tags, just read the thread, then open every picture in a new tab (right click in IE or middle in FF)". If they weren't smart enough to use code tags, they aren't smart enough to do this.

That said, I don't really like the default way images are displayed right now, particularly when trying to view DaniWeb on older computers.

And newer. I just got this Centrino Core Duo T7250 @2x2GHz a month ago.

I'm using IE7 on Vista. Opening the image in a new tab doesn't help anything because the image is still unreadable. And clicking with middle wheel is the same as clicking with left button.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.