tel me what it mean by reputation exactly..
and what about green,black reputations....

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Reputation is "a way" everybody can see what members think of you and the answers you provide.

Gray rep - (not black) is from new members, if I'm correct below post count of 10 (correct me if I'm wrong)
Green rep - from these above 10 posts that agree/are happy with your respond. Their reputation power is different (according to member list top score goes to ancient dragon :) with currently 34 reputation point to give/take from any of us )
Orange rep - from these above 10 post that did not like your respond

Here's a 13 page thread that covers 'bout everything there is to know about Rep. Enjoy :)

(according to member list top score goes to ancient dragon :) with currently 34 reputation point to give/take from any of us )

He can only take away 17, when you give neg rep it takes away half of what you have for rep power. He can, however, give all 34.

He can only take away 17, when you give neg rep it takes away half of what you have for rep power. He can, however, give all 34.

Last time when I checked you gave and took same amount, maybe the change been implement while I was away last month

Its been that way for awhile, at least three or four months. Maybe it is different for mods. For a long time I have only been able to take away three reputation points, 7/2 is rounded down.

For most forums, negative reputation usually is only equal to half the power of giving someone a positive reputation.

In the end, reputation can sometimes end up as a popularity contest, but I have been through so many forums, it is so insignificant to me now.

I almost never give out negative rep in technical forums because I don't want to destroy anyone's reputation. I do give it out occasionally in geek's lounge because it doesn't affect overall rep points there. The rep for mods works the same as anyone else's, and the last time I heard it was 1/2 for negative rep.

The main reason I have such a large rep power is because of my huge post count. You get more rep for every 1,000 posts. And the more you post and participate in the technical boards the more frequently other members will give you good rep (assuming you post positive instead of negative things). My rep count doesn't mean I'm a better programmer than either Narue or Salem (which I don't think I am) ... it only means I participate in the forums more.

Yeh, thanks to Ancient Dragon I think theres been some moments when I have had higher reputation than post count :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.