Hi Administrators/Moderators,

I've been using Daniweb for a while, and like it's clean look and feel, simple navigation system and just generally a homely place (like an online Pret A Manger almost) to read and talk about IT.

So imagine my surprise when I logged on today and on the homepage in the ad banner section beside the logo, was a series of stills from videos of girls in bikinis, inviting me to "Click to play" or something or other. In all my years here I've never known Daniweb to use that type of advertising - of an 'adult and sexual' nature.

Was this intentional, or is it some sort of breach? If intentional, is it a sign of the times, I mean is there more money to be made from companies who work in that industry?

Hope I'm not stepping out of line or anything, an honest reply for a curious mind would be great thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

We recently started working with a new ad network. Someone brought this up a couple of days ago and I thought it was taken care of. I'm going to handle this for once and for all today.

>I'm going to handle this for once and for all today.
I'd love to see the transcript for that call. Seeing you lay down the law would be entertaining, I imagine. :)

A similar thing happened to another site where I hang out (Schlock Mercenary). He runs a really fun, science-based web comic (and just happens to be Morman); he was really ticked. A filter failed somewhere.

I hope that you will be able to do something with these adverts. The site looking like "cheap" forum with all of them around

yeah i just came back to daniweb and saw them. apparently everything is under control now.

I hope that you will be able to do something with these adverts. The site looking like "cheap" forum with all of them around

I can't see any advertisements; except for the one that says, "Is Daniweb Helpful? Click for details. "

Adblock Plus?

Adblock Plus + NoScript

then its no wonder you cant see the ads...

I have them disabled

Adblock Plus + NoScript

Hey, I'm going to try your combo as the ads are still there.

Yaaay, white spaces instead, and that's just with Adblock Plus. I will miss the "i m v u" characters, but apart from that I think I'll be fine. :-D

What annoys me more is the dumb Smily Central thing, every time I hover my mouse over it, I get the annoying disruptive "hellooooooo" sound..

I still hate how I can't navigate the site while the ads are moving.

Get FireFox and add NoScript + AdBlock

This situation is under control now, right? Can someone who's not using an ad blocker or has ads disabled b/c they're a premium user please let the rest of us know :)

Well I've disabled Adblock Plus now and those ads are gone. IMVU is back :-).

So yeah, good job! Will mark as solved!

Just realised I didn't quite answer the question. Yes the problem is gone now because when I navigate the site as a guest, I don't see any of the "dodgy" adverts anymore. So yeah solved!

It's back! I just got a maximized popup with sexy ladies while viewing the Web Designer area.

And I can't navigate until the ad quits playing.

Today, I navigated down, and the page jumped back to the top to display the ad again.

*Sigh* I'll look into it later today.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.