could the "sponsored link" boxes be made just a few pixels taller? when i'm scrolling down a page with the mouse wheel and go over a box, the page stops scrolling, and the "sponsored link" box starts scrolling. it seems pretty minor, but it's annoying when you have to dodge the ads with your eyes and your mouse.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

It doesn't scroll on any of my computers. I made it slightly bigger ... does this fix the problem?

i didn't notice a difference. are you using mozilla?

It works fine for me in Internet Explorer for Windows, Firefox for Windows, Mozilla for linux, Konqueror for linux, and Safari for the mac.

I think I may understand what is going on - it was hard for me to picture yesterday because I have never experienced it myself. But basically what you are seeing is an IFrame that has been invoked by JavaScript. An IFrame is the only way that you could be experiencing a mini-scroll within a scrolling window. Now here is the unfortunately part ... unfortunately, it is not a result of DaniWeb's design at all. It is actually due to something being wrong with the code from Google in displaying the Google AdSense text ads. If you could describe the problem to me in detail, I will submit it as a bug report to Google.

here are the screenshots. i think that explains it best.

yes, it must be a bug with google. i noticed it on another site as well.

See, the problem is that Google's JavaScript calls a buggy IFrame tag. However, I just call the JavaScript - not the IFrame. :( I will submit a bug report for you. What OS / browser / browser version are you using?

i'm using gentoo linux and mozilla 1.7.3. thanks a lot!

OK, I'll submit that to Google. In the meantime, I've used RH9/Fedora and Firefox and DaniWeb works fine for me with that ... any reason why you're using Mozilla instead of Firefox? :) :)

it actually happens in firefox as well. i'm suprised it doesn't do that for you.

i don't think firefox is stable on linux yet. see this post.

Weird. Unfortunately I don't have my linux box set up anymore so I can't check right now. (I use a mac with OS X and it's BSD backend to do everything I would use linux for). However, I am 78% done downloading Knoppix right now, so I'll test it out for you in Mozilla once I get it running.

There's so many different versions of so many different Netscape springoffs in use that I wouldn't be surprised if Google just did what the rest of the world does and that's ignore any of their code not working in some of those versions.
Just make it compliant to the latest standards and tough luck on any browser which doesn't implement those properly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.