It has always been DaniWeb's trademark to have no cellspacing within tables, but rather have all of the table cells flow into each other. While I like the simplistic design, I am now reconsidering the impact that this has on usability.

I would really appreciate any and all opinions on this. Even if it is just the absolute slightest difference, which one do you like better? Please consider this from a design standpoint as well as from a usability standpoint. Which provides a cleaner interface? Which feels more cluttered? Which feels more professional? Which feels easier to use? Which feels more organized?

I am attaching a graphic consisting of both versions side by side, so you can compare them.

Attachments dani-border.gif 228.77 KB
Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Arizona Web

Hi Dani --

I actually like the cellspacing. Here's why -- first of all, I think that it is subtle enough to not detract at all from the simplicity of the site. Second, I think it adds a little bit of separation to postings and whatnot to make them each stand out and be individually distinctive (subtle, but I think it accomplishes this). Finally, I like the cellspacing because it gives the page just a little bit of depth to make it look more interesting - again, without taking away from the simplicy of the site. I really like to use subtle lines and spaces in my own designs to accomplish just this.

That's my professional opinion! Good job -- let me know which one wins!

Shannon

So far I've asked four different designers, and everyone has said that they like the 1px of space. I'm the only person who is hesitant it seems! While I like the look of the spacing, my reason for not using it is more of a marketing reason. Not having a space has always been DaniWeb's trademark, and it is one of the few design elements that we do differently than nearly all other forums. Therefore, I think that it adds a lot to our branding because it is something very simple and yet unique to us.

So far I've asked four different designers, and everyone has said that they like the 1px of space. I'm the only person who is hesitant it seems! While I like the look of the spacing, my reason for not using it is more of a marketing reason. Not having a space has always been DaniWeb's trademark, and it is one of the few design elements that we do differently than nearly all other forums. Therefore, I think that it adds a lot to our branding because it is something very simple and yet unique to us.

I see where you'd be thinking that way. I think that your logo, fonts, and colors are going to give you the majority of your branding though... and I don't think that this spacing will detract to much from it. I really do think it looks more professional and little sharper.

I actually prefer the look of the design without the spacing, but in this case I think the gain from the usability is greater than the loss of design, since it still looks fine with the spacing.

just my 2 :)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.