[B]I just joined this site and I notice that most of the questions asked by members are either viewed alot and left unanswered or answered by one or two persons. So I'm just wondering are these questions a little bit too complicated for some people to answer of are everyone looking just for answers as well.. [/B] :icon_question:

I just don't wanna exist, I wanna live to change the world

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I don't think they are necessarily "too complicated" but usually people simply post their assignments or just don't search themselves. Generally those who show effort are going to get more attention. There is also going to be a lot more people seeking answers than trying to answer.

[B]I just joined this site and I notice that most of the questions asked by members are either viewed alot and left unanswered or answered by one or two persons. So I'm just wondering are these questions a little bit too complicated for some people to answer of are everyone looking just for answers as well.. [/B] :icon_question:

a bit yes and no as far as I'm concerned, not complicated so much ,as a lot of post just make no scene to me , or like sillyboy said the person just doesn't search and try a find out the answer by reading what other's have found to work for them ,they want us to do it for them !

i just hang around here and try to help ppl

and yeah a lot of questions dont give enough info, make no sense, or are just irritating or spammy

like this one , http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread156947.html , is this a question or a lesson ! post one reads like English as a second language, and post 6 reads totally different,and original poster knows the answer to his first post

Moved to Community Feedback.

>So I'm just wondering are these questions a little bit too complicated for
>some people to answer of are everyone looking just for answers as well.
It's a combination of not knowing the answer, or not feeling compelled to answer. I could answer lot of the questions in the forums I frequent, but I choose not to because of time constraints or I'm simply not interested enough in the topic to spend time on it.

On the other hand, the number of members with questions greatly outweighs the number of members with answers. You'll see that on pretty much every forum, there's a small number of regulars who answer questions consistently and rarely ask them. It goes without saying that this situation can easily result in questions not getting answered because the few people answering questions are overwhelmed by the mass of questions.

>So I'm just wondering are these questions a little bit too complicated for
>some people to answer of are everyone looking just for answers as well.
It's a combination of not knowing the answer, or not feeling compelled to answer. I could answer lot of the questions in the forums I frequent, but I choose not to because of time constraints or I'm simply not interested enough in the topic to spend time on it.

On the other hand, the number of members with questions greatly outweighs the number of members with answers. You'll see that on pretty much every forum, there's a small number of regulars who answer questions consistently and rarely ask them. It goes without saying that this situation can easily result in questions not getting answered because the few people answering questions are overwhelmed by the mass of questions.

so in short ,you are not so much here to help others, but for the community camaraderie!
i like helping and come here solely for that purpose ,wish i knew more ,wish i could say I could answer most questions asked but chose not to! we all have out reasons !

>so in short ,you are not so much here to help others
I'm here to help, but I'm far more selective now than I used to be.

Member Avatar for Rhyan

Ok, I like to help as well and I do my best to do so.
However, it seems to me that a lot of people here expect someone to do the job for them. I am speaking about PHP and HTML/CSS forums, as there I have some competency, but lately I stopped opening threads like "HEEEELLLP: Parse error ....URGENT"- If you have time to login to daniweb and throw 2 pages of unclear information about your issue, then add 200 lines of code and somewhere at the bottom in bold you say "//here is my error!" I think spending this time in search of your error would repay better than just waiting for someone to do it instead of you!

That is why I lately started selecting what to read and what to answer. If I see the guy is throwing effort and is doing his best, although a newbie, I will help, as I was a newbie once...

Another thing is that a lot of people just don't read e.g. 2-3 pages of old posts, or do not use the solved threads link in the menu, where eventually there is an answer for them, that has been answered a 1000 times.
Or, which is worse, one guy opens 2 threads for just the same issue, however the question is asked in a different way, and in many cases, remains still unclear what the guy is experiencing as a problem or what does the guy need to accomplish. So, lately I got the impression that there are a bunch of guys that have knowledge how things get done, and about 99% of the people on daniweb are complete first-timers in coding, etc....

I'd like to see more complicated questions where eventually I might learn something new, or help someone that has the same problem as I did some time ago and I have spent long hours staring at the screen.

Some reasons I can come up with are:
- Lack of time
- Lack of expertise
- Personal preferences

If everyone here whose question gets answered took some time to give back to the community what they received, we wouldn't have this situation cropping up. Instead people post their questions, get an answer and take a leave never to show up again unless they are confronted with yet another question.

It's also interesting to notice that the questions posted by regulars have less probability of getting by unanswered as compared to those posted by newcomers.

PS: Consider snipping your fake signature, you can add a signature to your profile which shows up with each post from the Control Panel.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.