Yes ... there's a new style here :) I will, however, be proactive and be the first to admit that it is currently *unfinished* ... Unfortunately, there were a bunch of things that required the new version to be live before they could be tweaked/set up.

So please ... lay it on me. The good. The bad. The ugly. It'll be a work in progress for the next day or two, so if you have something to complain about it, now's the time to say it!

Recommended Answers

All 141 Replies

Making the post appear vertical in lieu of horizontal is paining my eyes , I am sorry if you do not like the feedback.

So far, I like the look although I haven't explored fully. The first thing I noticed that I'd like corrected is putting the "Community" tab back on each page rather than accessed only at the bottom of the main forum page.

ithelp: I'm not sure what you mean about the post appearing vertical?

WaltP: Huh? Community tab? Not sure what you mean.

ithelp: I'm not sure what you mean about the post appearing vertical?

WaltP: Huh? Community tab? Not sure what you mean.

The width of the post per line are same as that of google ad's width , so earlier if a post was coming in 1 line , now it is spilling over 3 lines.

What resolution are you at?

the good:
- The BIG quick reply box

the bad:
- where's the subscription spy??

the ugly:
- see attachment. Rounded edges script failed
- you should look at the site with 1024x768, a lot of thing are a bit misaligned with low resolutions.

I'll add to this list if I see more :)

ps. Don't know if it's something on my end, but when I disabled ad-block to view the entire site the complete site hung and I was unable to post. This wasn't an issue last week, but it could just be a glitch

ps. Don't know if it's something on my end, but when I disabled ad-block to view the entire site the complete site hung and I was unable to post. This wasn't an issue last week, but it could just be a glitch

It's fine on my side, I can live with these adverts

It's fine on my side, I can live with these adverts

Yeah, it could very well be a glitch on my side, but I thought I should mention it.
It hangs on : loading simple.thumbshots.com

and found another good:
Enormous searchbox on top of everything. I'm sure that I'll be pointing a lot of lazy newbies to it in the nearby future :)

Found another bad too:
- where did the software-dev lounge go?

I'm on IE7 now. FF3 tells me that the host is unreachable... Never saw that before...
[edit] nevermind, problem miraculously disappeared :)

All of the lounge forums for each category seemed like a good idea at the time, but they ended up just not working out. People were posting in them instead of selecting the appropriate forum (especially in Tech Talk!) and activity was dismal. I therefore combined all of the lounges into the "IT Professionals' Lounge" here in the Coffee House ... I mean, the Community Center :)

I therefore combined all of the lounges into the "IT Professionals' Lounge" here in the Coffee House ... I mean, the Community Center :)

Great. Now I have to plow through even more threads a day.. You show no mercy... ;)

Community center sounds a bit futuristic compared to Coffee house. In my imagination it's a big white (oval) room with white furniture and all people standing their looking at big projected screens where threads are displayed and... Or maybe I should read less sci-fi... :)

Editing post has some small glitches
The white edit area overlap frame on the right side and there is very little/none space between the buttons (Edit/Reply/Multi Quote/Quick Reply) and this editing frame

And where did the code-snippets go?

Yes, code-snippets and tutorials are missing from menu options

There are small links to them in the sidebar but that is something that will be fixed tomorrow :)

I like the look, but where has the Techies Lounge gone?

I probably cannot see it for looking :)

I like the look, but where has the Techies Lounge gone?

I probably cannot see it for looking :)

All the tech lounges are in one large lounge now, in the community center, under IT Professional's Lounge.

Lookin good Dani. I like it quite a bit.

Ah! At last.. full screen text width, better space utilisation... someone IS awake at the wheel. Ripper job.

Cheers :)

Good - 21st Century/Vista/OS X compliant look, design, feel with the menu bars. Good work

Bad - Someone's already pointed out the lack of rounded edges on the left part of the sidebars
- The grey bar with all the different sections, looks slightly odd IMHO with just the face at the end to represent the Community Centre. Surely you either want icons to accompany the text (I know there are some icons that were used with blogs on the "old" site, maybe those), or just text?
- The advert at the centre of the page is centred alright, but then the advert in the sidebar runs under it a little bit. I know it's a bit pinickerty, but it does appear to make things look ever so slightly untidy. I'll attach a screenshot.

Anyways just my two cents, overall the site is still impressive and a favourite of mine, and credit to you for taking the initiative. Also would I be right in saying that the layout was maybe inspired a bit by a facebook.com?;)

Oh almost forgot to say, I also like the effect you get with attached pics (enlarged and centred on a dimmed background, and click or esc to exit, really cool!) Though I suspect it might have been available for sometime and I just hadn't noticed.

Looks lovely. someone is certainly doing their job. i'm having a problem though. The user name and password spaces aren't completely visible. They are behind the categories tab. is it my settings or something? Nice job though.

Its awesome!

Must be you, i click login, and then the search bar dissapears and the username and password boxes take its place.

Community Center doesnt have a text title? for me all the other sections have text names in the bar, bur community center just has the pic of the guy from the welcome video? took me bloody ages to find it

P.S it looks terrible at 1024x768, its just slightly too wide for the screen, so there is scrolling required. Its just not very user-friendly at less than 1280xx1024 and considering a fair number of users will be visiting in "safe mode" this could be a problem. Everything also just seems to be bigger. Set your monitor to 1024x768 and see what i mean, on this thread the from the top to where it says Blog Tag Cloud and Dani's solved threads takes up the entire page!

Basically, it woulnt scroll, were it not for the grey border around the side of the page.

Also some mobile browsers cant login, the username and password buttons go and hide in random places.

Overall i like it, it just needs tweaking.

I will be honest, I don't like it as much as the old one, though I'm pretty sure other people do :) I don't like having all the posts crammed on the left side of the page. Instead, I prefer to have them aligned in the centre like the old style did.

Do you think its possible to add an option in the control panel to switch back to the old layout?
Just for those of us who don't like change :P

Oooooh, and I DEFINITELY like the new parts of logging in and logging out. The username and password boxes with greyed text, the asking for confirmation when you logout and the links that come out on the page. Very professional I think.

unliklely to happen methinks

The new post listings on the "main page" for top-level forums no longer indicate which forum the post is in. Listing the forum is helpful to determine if the post is in one of the forums you participate in a lot.

commented: Well spotted, I agree with that +12

or are a mod of

It is SO SLOW for me its not even funny!!

Why did you change it??

Its no good Dani! (No offense)

Everything is pushed to the left,its horrid! (Some text overlaps stuff)

Its hard to login now,etc.......

Boo hiss........

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.