that would mean less money. Daniweb is a big operation so i assume it needs ever penny of ad revenue for bandwidth.

Wow... the ins and outs of running a big website. What I find a bit funny is that technically if DW got a decent cash injection, or all members donated even just for 1 month, the ad companies would still pay, but only guests would see their ads, thereby reducing the effectiveness of their marketing... sort of.

Well I do not know if anyone else mentioned this but the Edit Profile page looks pretty awful at 1024x768 resolution.
I got some snapshots attached.

Its a quirk of OpenSuse I think. FF3 on vista, as well as IE7 and IE8 show it fine at 1024x768 for me.

Guess So . . . . Cause It displays correctly at 1280x768 on my Laptop which also has Open Suse 11.

Wow... the ins and outs of running a big website. What I find a bit funny is that technically if DW got a decent cash injection, or all members donated even just for 1 month, the ad companies would still pay, but only guests would see their ads, thereby reducing the effectiveness of their marketing... sort of.

Ad campaigns are typically paid for on a pay-for-performance basis ... The four industry-standard payment options are CPM (pay each time ad is viewed), CPC (pay each time ad is clicked on), CPL (pay each time visitor clicks on ad and fills out form) and CPA (pay each time visitor clicks on ad and purchases something).

The profile page looks fine to me also @ 800x600 (Thank you Dani)

If the ad is so obnoxious that it interferes with navigation, do they really think I will want to buy the product????

I keep a lost of obnoxious ads, and don't do business with those companies.

The page looks wrong when the default font sizes are bigger, when used with smaller resolutions. Also check the settings in the display option in Windows Control Panel. Certain combinations of text box settings and font size or text size settings can cause that. Also note that scrollbars can disappear if the scrollbar size setting is set to a number larger than 17 with a large font selection.

Sigh :( What resolution? Do you experience that on every member profile?

commented: Too many sighs. You need a vacation. :-) +25

1280 x 1024, and to make things worse.. it only occurs every once in a while :icon_rolleyes: It's definitely happened more than a few times for me, but.. its nothing I can't live with, refreshing the page 1-2 times usually does the trick. :)

If it only happens once in awhile, and refreshing fixes it, it appears to be a result of the CSS file not completely downloading for some reason (browser glitch).

Yeah i used to get that intermittently

Oddly after a reformat it was fine

Hi guys,
Noticed this problem with the User Interface for Sending private messages. I am kind of finding it difficult to describe so just attached the snapshot. Only problem is the UI looks a little messed up apart from that nothing else.

And I am also guessing this problem also might be faced by me only because of my (OpenSuse 11 & Firefox 3.0.1 on x86_64 on 1024x768 resolution ) combination.

yup i just tried it on vista and slackware and it was fine
must be something in opensuse

I think it was already established that it's because you're using an extra large font size in your window manager.

The page looks wrong when the default font sizes are bigger, when used with smaller resolutions. Also check the settings in the display option in Windows Control Panel. Certain combinations of text box settings and font size or text size settings can cause that. Also note that scrollbars can disappear if the scrollbar size setting is set to a number larger than 17 with a large font selection

I guess I had missed this post.

And now I feel like a nut. :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

Grrrr .... And the worst fact is all I had to do was check it in Konqueror and that would have been enough to establish I had made a mess of the Firefox or GTK settings somewhere.

Sorry for the trouble Dani, jbennet.

Well on the positive side at least I got to talk with the Queen of Daniweb, :P for the first time I guess.

> Sorry for the trouble Dani, jbennet.
No worries :)

Hi guys,
Noticed this problem with the User Interface for Sending private messages. I am kind of finding it difficult to describe so just attached the snapshot. Only problem is the UI looks a little messed up apart from that nothing else.

And I am also guessing this problem also might be faced by me only because of my (OpenSuse 11 & Firefox 3.0.1 on x86_64 on 1024x768 resolution ) combination.

Actually, this is what Firefox does when confronted with the IT WON'T FIT scenario. When the content won't fit in the allotted space, FF overlaps things. Except divs, or course. FF moves divs wherever it wants to.

You might want to shoot me before you start reading but meh lol.

I use Google Chrome.....*runs* on my older PC because it's somewhat faster than the alternatives.

Anyway basically drop down menu's don't work. Instead of being given the drop down menu it just redirects you to the default link.

Don't know whether you want to do anything about it after all. Google Chrome is every web developers nightmare!

But I just thought i'd let you know.

Cheers,
Chris

Its just a chrome bug

Safari and Firefox are fine.

>Its just a chrome bug
Yep, I remember having the same problem when I was using chrome (gone back to firefox), and I reported the problem to chrome. Hopefully the problem will some day be fixed ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.