I can't log in using Firefox. When I click on the Member Login button, nothing happens. The windows for username and password do not appear.

If I go to a forum post and try to reply, it tells me to login. If I click on the login link, it returns me to the same page again, even if I open a new tab or a new window.

I logged in with IE, but I hate doing this, because IE changes some Windows settings I need set differently for some software I have to use. It takes me about half an hour to put these settings back and test them.

I tried emailing your service people, and their mailboxes return as being full.

Please fix this.

Recommended Answers

All 34 Replies

Firstly, who did you try [unsuccessfully] emailing?

Secondly, you can use www.daniweb.com/login.php temporarily.

Thirdly, please answer the following questions:
What version of FireFox?
What is your screen resolution set to?
Do you have the DPI settings changed in Windows (from 96 dpi to 120 dpi) for extra large fonts / menus / icons?
Are you maximizing the browser window?
Do you see a horizontal scrollbar in your browser window?

Oh ... one more thing. When you are using FireFox, do you see the search form initially? When you click Member Login does the search form go away, does it stay, or do you not see anything there at all?

Firstly, who did you try [unsuccessfully] emailing?

I emailed narue, and the technical manager listed at the end of the "contact us" list (If I go there, I lose my text).

Secondly, you can use www.daniweb.com/login.php temporarily.

Thirdly, please answer the following questions:
What version of FireFox?

What is your screen resolution set to?
1152 X 864

Do you have the DPI settings changed in Windows (from 96 dpi to 120 dpi) for extra large fonts / menus / icons?
No.

Are you maximizing the browser window?
Yes

Do you see a horizontal scrollbar in your browser window?

No.

Oh ... one more thing. When you are using FireFox, do you see the search form initially? When you click Member Login does the search form go away, does it stay, or do you not see anything there at all?

There is nothing to the right of the "Member Login" button.

IE just crashed while I was using the new site. I had to restart IE to get back in. It said something about needing a plugin, but I don't have enough hard disk space left to be wasted on a new set of plugins for IE. I already have a set for FF.

This is different from the RealPlayer plugin problem, right?

Sorry to double post again ... Midi, can you please send a screenshot?

I can't log in using Firefox. When I click on the Member Login button, nothing happens. The windows for username and password do not appear.

I am now in FF version 3.03, logged out. When I hit the Login button at first I though it did nothing, but then noticed the two edit controls next to the login button asking for user name and password -- hard-to-read watermarks. I had no problem logging back in after I discovered that.

This appears to be a FF2 bug. I'll look into it. However, keep in mind that FF2 is no longer being maintained as of next month. You may wish to look into finding FF3-compatible versions of all your plugins.

This is different from the RealPlayer plugin problem, right?

Yes. I fixed that 3 days ago, but have been too busy to be back until today.

I can't figure out why FF2 doesn't render the entire div correctly everytime I add the submit button for the form. I spent the past 15 minutes on it and can't figure it out. It has to be some sorta bug because it even works right in IE6, which is the most standards incompliant browser ever.

According to Google Analytics, only 6% of DaniWeb users still use FF2, so that's an acceptable number to wait until tomorrow to tackle this again.

In the meantime, I went ahead and added a login form to the bottom of the registration page. Sorry I can't figure it out for ya right now :(

I don't have those watermarks images. There is nothing on the bar to the right of the "Members Login" button.

If it's an FF2 bug, how come it worked fine until today?

And I am TOTALLY SICK of this mad upgrade rush I am constantly being subjected to. Why can't we keep what we have in such a way that it works? Why do they seem to break the old one when the new one comes out? The people who demand these upgrades need a firing squad. They make people spend money on things they already have, by making the old things quit working. This is the LAST thing we need in these hard economic times.

If I had my wish, websites would require NO plug-ins.

I have three computers:
One is upgraded to Windows XP, Office 2007, IE7, and FF3.
The second has Windows XP, Office 2003, IE6, and FF2.
The third has DOS 6.2, Windows 3.1, Microsoft Works, and no web browsers or internet connection.

My employer paid for me to upgrade the first one. But I agreed to not use it for general web usage for security reasons.

I have the second one partly for the purposes of checking my web pages on old browsers. But it is the one I must use for web browsing. And the hard disk has only 4 GB free, so I can't have two versions of FF.

The third one is for legacy software I can't do without. I started a large project with it (using proprietary file types I can't convert), and I am still working on it.

I also do not like the new user interface on FF3. It's too hard to read.

Sorry to double post again ... Midi, can you please send a screenshot?

Here it is:

I am now on FF2. The alternate login works, but:

- The dropdown menus are under the ad image.

- The search box is missing. The other links are on the top bar.

- The flashing cursor is missing from the quick reply box again.

A thought: In FF2, if the div won't completely fit in its container, it won't render at all. It won't expand a containing tag with a defined size (unless it is another div), and it won't render just part of the content.

I am getting error console errors on the page. Here is a screenshot of the error console log for loading this page:

I'm having (some) of the same problems as Midi here, on Firefox 2.0.0.17. I can't login unless I use http://www.daniweb.com/login.php, and the search box is non-existent.

Right ... See post #12. It's a bug with FF2. Upgrade to FF3 or wait for me to tackle this problem tomorrow.

The header should now work just fine with FF2, FF3, IE6, and IE7.

Cheers,

Dani

Thank you so much for saving me the trouble of upgrading to Firefox 3. :-)

You should upgrade anyways ... before FF2's end of life next month, at least.

It works!

You should upgrade anyways ... before FF2's end of life next month, at least.

I still do not understand how software that used to work just fine suddenly does not work, or how its life can "end".

Who is doing what to damage it? Software does not spontaneously decay.

>I still do not understand how software that used to work
>just fine suddenly does not work, or how its life can "end".
The programmers who were working to maintain Firefox 2 (i.e. security patches, bug fixes, etc.) are now moving over to Firefox 3. You can keep using it, much like you can still download and use Firefox 1, but you won't receive any official updates for it after its end of life.

it didnt have a very long lifecycle?
IE gets years and years...

it didnt have a very long lifecycle?
IE gets years and years...

And it shows :icon_twisted:

commented: LOL :-) +25

But that doesn't explain how software that used to work suddenly does not work anymore. This isn't just a bug or an update. Somebody had to DO something to make the software no longer work. Software does not spontaneously decay.

So who did what?

No one said that Firefox 2 won't work after its end of life...

Thats wierd i posted an reply to 28 saying "thats why its called *regression* " and now my post is disappeared?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.