This just started yesterday. When I view your pages that contain moving ads, some of the times I click on things, I get two clicks, but not a double click:

- I click on the scroll arrows, and get two lines of scroll.

- I click on the scrollbar and the screen scrolls two window-fulls instead of one.

- I click on the Back button, and the browser goes back two pages.

This does not happen on my own website, but it does happen on some other sites with ads.

I am using Windows XP SP3 and Firefox 3.0.5.

Your pages with only stationary ads do not do this.

It's not the mouse. I checked that.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

This is still happening. Nobody knows why?

Its seems to be an intermittant firefox bug

For some reason i had it on virtually every site which had ads. Oddly it only ever occured on linux for me, not windows (same hardware and ff version)

Also had other strange behaviour e.g left click once and for some reason it opens a new tab occasionally

This odd behaviour only ever seemes to occur for me when there was ads and not much RAM available.

If you're already using ff3, why not install adblock and never worry about ads again?

commented: Because the adblockers cause him more problems than the ads themselves :icon_rolleyes: +17

What if you are not allowed to install anything? What if you need to have a minimal system build for purposes not connected to web browsing?

The pages should work without having to install other software. This seems to be another annoying trick by the ad makers.

When will ad makers realize that their stupid tricks intended to ruin attempts to navigate make people mad at the sponsors?

> When will ad makers realize that their stupid tricks intended to ruin
> attempts to navigate make people mad at the sponsors?

Probably never since everyone who surfs the web is not as er... smart as you.

You have two choices:
- Get some addons installed so that this doesn't happen
- Make sure your click carefully when browsing or file a bug with IE / Firefox for not *blocking* ads by default or get approval to have addons installed or file a complaint against the ad agencies or ....

I just wanted to pop in and say that I actually haven't experienced any of this behaviour myself.

It's working today. I think it depends on the ads. Earlier today, I was getting an ad that took me away from the posting window while I was typing, scrolling to make the ad visible.

It's back, and is worse. Now the screen scrolls itself back to the ad, as well as taking the click twice.

Okaaaaay... so if an adblocker is too complicated for you, how about editing the Windows host file? This might come in handy. Adding DaniWeb's ad server, aj.daniweb.com, might also help.

When you don't have administrator privilege, none of these is possible. One of the computers doing this is at work. I have no permission to install software on it.

The other computer is used primarily for music production. The instructions for the music software say to install as little other software as possible on the computer.

The Firefox help site says it is probably an add-on some website installed without my permission.

The Firefox help site says it is probably an add-on some website installed without my permission.

If this is true, what can DaniWeb do about it?

Malware bytes!!!!

If this is true, what can DaniWeb do about it?

Find out which one.

This is interesting: The FF update I just installed fixed this trouble on all of the sites except DaniWeb.

Has anyone had an inkling of what add-on causes this? I don't have time for the exhaustive search the Firefox site suggested.

I found the culprit - sort of. There are two:

1. Real Player installed a busted plugin. It was impossible to remove it. But when Real Player upgraded to a newer version, it went away.

2. Some of the ads, when they are finished loading, take you away from where you have already scrolled to and take you to see the ad. Sometimes this does not occur for several minutes. But it happens only once per page load. I thought it was the other effect.

This is quite annoying if your have already started typing a post and the ad takes a while to load. You have to start over on the post.

It came back later.

But I may have solved it again.

Real Player again.

I had to disable BOTH the auto-update and the auto-messenger.

If it doesn't come back again, I will mark this solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.