Often I want to downrep somebody for being dumb, but them uprep them somewhere else to cancel out the downrep I just gave, because I'm not trying to be mean. But I can't! Please change things so that this can be done. One way is to limit the user to two reps per person per day. Another would be to allow somebody to rep another twice within 24 hours as long as the previous rep was in the opposite direction.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

I agree, this happens with me too. I've dedicated myself to just being a prick, and leaving them with a downrep.... but it would be awesome to be able to pull myself away from the dark side, and little more near the neutral side of the rep force.

how about a neutral rep? still shows up as a comment, but no rep change?

Yuck! If you're going to comment on a post, decide whether it's good or bad!

First of all let me tell you I'm not here to collect as much reputation points as possible. What purpose would that serve? My own ego?
I'm here to help people if I can or to get help for myself if I'm stuck in some programming issue.

Why can't reps be given up to a maximum of the Rep Power you personally have?
If jbennet thinks I'm "good" and gives me rep-->wham! as to the time of this writing he has a Rep Power of 37!:)
jbennet might think(He is probably right) : " Hey ddanbe is good but not THAT good" I would like to give him 10 points. The same could be said about bad rep of course.

commented: Good Suggestion. +6

Yes, ddanbe comes up with a very good solution here. Yes one might think about a comment in either a good or bad way but there is a certain degree to the goodness of the comment and to the likeness of the rep giver. Currently there's no way to distinguish between a good a great and an excellent post. Why can we not have such varying degrees to it.
As a matter of fact I would have given an 'excellent=100%' for this suggestion from ddanbe.

Yes, ddanbe comes up with a very good solution here. Yes one might think about a comment in either a good or bad way but there is a certain degree to the goodness of the comment and to the likeness of the rep giver.

I agree that it's a nice thought, but if you introduce a more complicated rep-system, it will become even more confusing for new members. There are questions being frequently asked about the difference between 'post count', 'rep', 'even rep', 'solved threads', stars, green blocks, redblocks etc etc.
Adding another way to hand out rep could be a bit too confusing IMO

Currently there's no way to distinguish between a good a great and an excellent post.

I have to disagree. If it's a good post, it'll get rep from someone. If it's an excellent post, more people will +rep it.

Besides: What does rep really mean? Sometimes I spend 5-10 posts to help a new member out with some problem and get rep for it and sometimes I make one lame remark and get rep for it.
It's not a contest or something. If you're a useful poster, people here will know it regardless of the number of green blocks next to your name.

commented: Nice answer +4

Besides: What does rep really mean?

Yeah niek you are right, it does not mean that much.
I will add to your reputation as soon as I have written this.
What if I did that 1000 times? Would you feel like top of the bill?
Of course rep has it's merits, but I dislike the feeling of creating some kind of army hierarchy.

I see no reason to allow people to specify the number of rep points they give someone else. The *ONLY* people who would be concerned with specifying the number of points are the people who are, themselves, obsessed with reputation points ... which is, for the most part, a useless statistic. If you think it's important to distinguish between a good post and a GREAT post (and I think it is!) then write a rep comment that demonstrates that. It's the rep comments that are valuable, and that say something about the author and the content, not whether the post earned 1 rep point or 3.

And, if you don't want to be mean, why not just give someone good rep one day and bad rep the next?

I like the idea of being able to specify the number of rep points I could give someone. I'm more concerned about bad rep -- I rarely give out bad rep because I don't want to destroy their overall rep points. It would be like running over an ant hill with a bull dozer. If I could specify only 1 or 2 bad rep points instead of 21 I might be more inclined to give bad rep.

yeh same if you get neg repped by ancient you are doomed

I completly agree with Ancient Dragon!
It's like kids, you want to give them a little tick on the shoulder sometimes, you don't want to cut off their heads!

commented: Exactly! +36

why not just give someone good rep one day and bad rep the next?

Come on Dani! Why should I give someone a good rep and then sit and wait untill I can blast him/her to hell! I have other things to do...

I initially thought this thread was meant to be a joke, but apparently I was wrong.

I like the idea of being able to specify the number of rep points I could give someone. I'm more concerned about bad rep -- I rarely give out bad rep because I don't want to destroy their overall rep points. It would be like running over an ant hill with a bull dozer. If I could specify only 1 or 2 bad rep points instead of 21 I might be more inclined to give bad rep.

If you're more concerned with the number of points you're giving out than the comment you're leaving behind, you shouldn't be giving out rep.

And, if you don't want to be mean, why not just give someone good rep one day and bad rep the next?

I absolutely agree here with ddanbe, there's no point in giving someone a good rep and then just waiting for a chance to bad rep him, just for the reason that you want to split your good rep points. Also it won't be possible for anyone to remember who all you gave good reps and who all from among them did not deserve all of it so who all you should just go and give a bad rep.

Also as mentioned here, I too agree with the fact that one should not be too obsessed with the numbers - whether it is the solved threads, rep power or reputation points - but all I wanted to mention was that, that there should be a way to tell an excelltent post from a good post if at all the rep giver wanted it to. And yes, this can certainly be demonstrated from a comment, which in one way is absolutely fine, but just sometimes and really just sometimes, and this happens with the regulars too, that you take a look at the reputation points first and not the overall +ve reps, and not that this matters too much but I just felt it worth mentioning.

one should not be too obsessed with the numbers

Well said! Let computers be obsessed with numbers.
Perhaps we could leave the numbers out and just use them behind the scenes as a measure to calculate the number of green squares?
On a post we see no number, just green squares and a nice little quote when you hover over them and that is fine for me.

IMAO, giving bad rep then giving good rep to nullify it is asinine. If you think they deserve bad rep, give it. If you're concerned about their rep points going in the toilet, don't give it.

The only thing I've seen in this thread that makes even a little sense is being able to give neutral rep. Basically turning it into a simple comment.

The only thing I've seen in this thread that makes even a little sense is being able to give neutral rep. Basically turning it into a simple comment.

Yep i agree. For when you want to acknowlege that someone has made a good point, even if you dont disagree or agree with it.

And i want the rep for the lounges reinstated!!!!

IMAO, giving bad rep then giving good rep to nullify it is asinine. If you think they deserve bad rep, give it. If you're concerned about their rep points going in the toilet, don't give it.

You have, my friend, hit this particular nail firmly on the head.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.