I have received negative reputation from a member who has been banned - The Dude. The bad reputation was given on a thread that he posted that i said was spam, because it was! So why should i have these reputation points when i clearly don't deserve them?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

That was over 2 years ago. Instead of complaining in the thread you should have reported it. The Dude did not have any rep altering power so the bad rep he gave you only put a yellow dot on your profile.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Mmm, yeah you weren't deserving of that rep. However, the general rule of thumb is not to take rep so seriously.

Off topic, I've noticed the Dude and Rashakil Fol seems to have got banned at about the same time.

I wonder what happened?

I will ignore. But Ancient dragon, the thread is two years old but the rep came through - Mar 17th, 2009 5:51 pm.

Just thought i'd point this out, incase you'd overlooked it. Thanks

commented: This will make up for the Dude :) +26

I believe that the Dude was banned some time last week for posting spam outside the Geeks Lounge which he had been warned about many times before. Not sure what happened to RF though...

Rashakil Fol was banned because he flagged a blog post by happygeek ? :-/
(That's what Rashakil Fol said in one of his posts which was later deleted!!!)
Umm..He used 'crude words' in his post. Maybe that is the reason it was deleted.

P.S. Maybe his fierce battle with Serkan sendur was another reason ! ;)

Rashakil Fol was not banned for flagging a blog post by me, or indeed for anything to do with me.

He was banned because he posted an offensive comment attacking another DaniWeb member in a way which broke the rules. As Rash had already received numerous warnings in the past about such things, and already had an active 5 point infraction on the system, the new infraction took him to the 10 point ban threshold.

Simple as that.

It was not a decision taken lightly, and was discussed at length by the moderation team. However, all members have to abide by the rules and they apply equally even if you happen to be a long-time member and former mod as is the case with Rashakil Fol.

The Dude was banned for posting spam which again took him over the 10 point limit.

commented: I want to thank you for being honest with the community. +9
commented: happysuit! -1
commented: Stop being childish Sturm. +6

He was banned because he posted an offensive comment attacking another DaniWeb member in a way which broke the rules. As Rash had already received numerous warnings in the past about such things, and already had an active 5 point infraction on the system, the new infraction took him to the 10 point ban threshold.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying.

However, all members have to abide by the rules and they apply equally even if you happen to be a long-time member and former mod as is the case with Rashakil Fol.

Totally agree with that.
Just wondering, how about having a 'Hall of Shame' to list the banned members and the reason for their ban ?

I don't like the hall of shame idea to be honest. I cannot see any positives coming out of it, and anyway it would mainly be full of entries such as: spammer, spammer, spammer, spammer, spammer, spammer :)

Hmm.. yeah.. I guess you are right! :cool:

I have received negative reputation from a member who has been banned - The Dude. The bad reputation was given on a thread that he posted that i said was spam, because it was! So why should i have these reputation points when i clearly don't deserve them?

If it was on a non-technical board the rep doesnt actually get counted

I believe that the Dude was banned some time last week for posting spam outside the Geeks Lounge which he had been warned about many times before

he has posted spam and illegal stuff numerous times and already had one 5 pointer active on his profile. Each time he was warned again and again and didnt learn so eventually a ban was all that would do it.

and anyway it would mainly be full of entries such as: spammer, spammer, spammer, spammer, spammer, spammer

Agreed. I do like 5-10 a day, so altogether there must be thousands

what about an option to "rehabilitate" a banned member who wanted another chance?

like a one-chance sort of thing where you're in probationary status, repeat offense would be irrevocable?

i guess that would redefine "ban" into something more like a suspension, though.

eh, probably not a good idea; just throwing it out as an option...

A ban is a result of a member gathering up 10 infraction points. Each infraction has a time duration till which it is active. Once the duration expires, the member is automatically unbanned and can start posting again. I think that this pretty much serves as a decent "rehabilitation" measure.

>like a one-chance sort of thing where you're in probationary status, repeat offense would be irrevocable?
Infractions already expire. Though in some cases we apply a permanent ban after the second chance.

what about an option to "rehabilitate" a banned member who wanted another chance?

like a one-chance sort of thing where you're in probationary status, repeat offense would be irrevocable?

yeah but banned users who come back generally continue thier old ways (xgmx for example)

Once the duration expires, the member is automatically unbanned and can start posting again. I think that this pretty much serves as a decent "rehabilitation" measure.

oh, i see. i didnt understand that. yes, that is quite the same concept.

so never mind :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.