I'm enjoying this forum quite a bit. I was curious though, what qualifiies someone as a senior techie. I sure hope it isn't by the number of posts as this is the initial impression I'm getting.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First of all, I'm glad you're enjoying our community! User titles are, indeed, initially based on postcount. However, you may purchase a forum subscription for $5/month which entitles you to a custom user title of your choice in addition to many other benefits.

I think this is a very valid point you raise, Tight_Coder_Ex. For newcomers to DaniWeb, the user ranks can seem to indicate the level of ability of particular members, rather than simply the indication of postcount that they are. Perhaps it's time to look at the matter, and see if people think the ranking system here requires some change.

The actual rank titles themselves, I believe, refer to the identification of a person as a member of this online community, rather than to any level of expertise. Originally, DaniWeb was known as TechTalk forums:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4

and the Junior Techie/Senior Techie seems to have developed as an indication of the volume of contribution someone makes.

It's a valid point you raise, and the rank titles we have can appear to endorse some people as more knowledgeable than others. I think this discussion would be better conducted in the 'Site News and Feedback' section, and I'll move it there for further comments.

I'm interested in hearing them.

commented: good helper...always there at the right time +1

Well im considered a senior techie, but I dont feel like one. Mostly I post long rants that turn into drivel after the first two words in the geeks lounge, Catweazle can testify to that :p. But I go to tech talk to read, I like to read the questions and then the solutions, I dont post many replies in tech talk because frankly I dont know what im talking about, or im still unconfident in directing someone in a particular direction. I will also post a question if I need to know something in tech talk. The moderators always help in tech talk, always, ok moderators im done kissing your asses.....for now :p. Just kidding....maybe.

I appreciate the feedback, folks. The way the current system is designed, your level of techie-ness is directly post related. There is of course then the reputation feature which is based on how people have rated your post.

I think that the most simple solution is to replace the word "techie" with "poster" ... so that one's title is Junior Poster, Senior Poster, etc.

I appreciate the feedback, folks. The way the current system is designed, your level of techie-ness is directly post related. There is of course then the reputation feature which is based on how people have rated your post.

I think that the most simple solution is to replace the word "techie" with "poster" ... so that one's title is Junior Poster, Senior Poster, etc.

Consider it done

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.