I think Daniweb is a great site with great ideas and great people! Its just that it's one of the slowest loading sites I've seen. The page gets displayed fast enough, but I always get 2 seconds of "waiting for google analytics" or waiting for an ad to pop up. If you get enough reputation will you get less ads? I'd love to contribute to the site, but its just really slow.

Also, can users submit tutorials and code snippets? I think we'd have a lot more tutorials if we let users write some and have them reviewed by moderators. I've seen other websites do this, and I think it'd be great if Daniweb did too!

I <3 daniweb!

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Also, can users submit tutorials and code snippets? I think we'd have a lot more tutorials if we let users write some and have them reviewed by moderators. I've seen other websites do this, and I think it'd be great if Daniweb did too!

I <3 daniweb!

Have a look at my Thread. I agree they could make tutorial submissions a lot simpler.

I'm sorry for the first question about why its, slow. I realize the admins can't do much about that, besides have less ads, but that's completely their decision and they have the right to make it. And discussions have already started about the tutorial question. :D

Trouble is, if we had less ads then the site would not be free. If the site were not free, it would not be as useful to as many people as it is right now.

That said, members can already disable contextual advertising through their control panels. and if you donate to the site then you get the option of disabling graphical advertising as well.

or if you use FF and ABP, you dont ever have to worry about any site ads, anywhere, ever.

commented: That was sooo helpful! that extension is amazing!! +1

I think its because the ads and google analytics load before the page does, leaving us staring at a blank page. Other sites load the page then the ads, so you can start browsing without waiting for the ads.

The site has been very slow for everyone today -- I even got database error messages a couple times.

The site has been very slow for everyone today -- I even got database error messages a couple times.

It's not just today, it has been horrible for the last 2 weeks. I've seen DB-errors, 404's, broken functionality, 30 sec+ loadtime on a 16 mbit connection etc,etc.

But I'll wait and hope for better times...

[edit]
Today's bug is that the 'submit' button on (quick)reply don't work for me. Tested it on two PC's

commented: Bingo! very much similar to what I have been experiencing for the past few weeks... +28

As Dani has mentioned before, this is down to server migration issues which she has been working frantically to fix.

As Dani has mentioned before, this is down to server migration issues which she has been working frantically to fix.

I know, I know; but I don't have to be happy about it right?

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's light at the end of the tunnel, or when that light is to be expected.

I know that it all has to do with the migration, but here are today's problems (just in case this comes as news):

- the submit button failed me a lot of times; resulting in either no post or double post. I'm not the only on having this problem, I saw more double posts today.
- when I post in a thread and someone else posts in it, I don't get the notification in my control-panel.
- the normal speed/db issues (almost unreachable for the last 2-3 hours)

@Dani: Here's a stupid looking smily to cheer you up in these dark days without sleep etc: :P

I've actually edited the post above, but for some reason the edited text won't show. Here's how the message shoudl look like:

Okay, as long as I'm not the only one having the problem and that it's being addressed I'm completely cool with it. :D

Except for the code tags problem I posted about in another thread everything seems to be working fine for me at the moment. I hope it stays that way :)

[edit]I spoke too soon. Things are not ok afterall, there are still database issues. But I'm pretty sure Dani is still working on this, so I'll wait. [/edit]

To compensate for all my complaining lately, I thought you might like to know that, as of today, Daniweb is running as smooth as ever and all previous problems have disappeared for me.
So the migration is complete?

[edit] Testing 123.. Editing also works!

Sorry to say that edits are still sometimes broken.

That explains it. The servers are migrating! :icon_cheesygrin:

The problem is that the page doesn't load until the ad server has returned the ad. If the ad server is too busy, the user has to wait until the browser times out to get the rest of the page.

Then the animated movie often locks the users browser until the ad finishes playing.

We're getting there :)

That's good news. But now, please don't do it again in the next few years... ;)

We've actually been growing so fast that we've been constantly needing new servers. The purpose of this migration was actually to virtualize as much as possible, so that it will be really super simple to add additional servers in the future with minimal configuration time and no downtime.

commented: For the hard work behind the scenes. +4

I faced atleast two of the problems posted by niek_e at around the same time he posted them. (Submit button problem and no notification through mail). I never face the load problem since I am using FF and ABP since long. But it looks promising to know that somebody's working hard behind the scenes to get it to work smoother.

Also I like the fact Dani mentions that the site is growing, this I guess should be a pat on the back to all the members here who offer voluntarily help and bigger pat for those who make sure the show runs on.

If you have Real Player, try disabling both the auto-update and the auto messaging features. This sped up my browser here considerably.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.