Can someone explain to me the purpose of the arrows that show up to the left of the forum titles on the index? They seem to be related to recent posts, but there are times I will see one next to a forum that I have already read all the posts. Does it take some time before they update? Whats the deal? Its driving me crazy I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Dance

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

When you log into the site, arrows will show up next to the forums where posts have been made since your last visit to the site. They're updated each time you login to DaniWeb for a new visit.

Is that new I've never seen that before?

Nope. Always worked the same way. It's based on the same system that bolds recent threads in unvisited forums.

O maybe I never noticed it because I hardly ever use the index.

Shame, shame on you. That brings up an interesting question though ... Do you use either the homepage or the forum index? I completely live off of them!

...well.....no i just look at the latest post at the bottom and the popular threads. Then I go to todays posts skim that and then I go to unanswered and look alot of the unaswered questions.

I use forum index mostly ... its more informative to me...

I make a LOT of use of the navigation box under the search box at top of page. I use the main index much less, and the DaniWeb homepage hardly at all.

...well.....no i just look at the latest post at the bottom and the popular threads. Then I go to todays posts skim that and then I go to unanswered and look alot of the unaswered questions.

When you go to Today's Posts and Unanswered Threads, keep in mind they're forum specific :) You'll need to be on the homepage, forum index, or some non-forum-specific area of the site to get sitewide results.

I use the forum index obviously :) There is a homepage?!? lol

So for the arrows to change I need to logout and log back in...

[EDIT]
The homepage is cool :mrgreen:
[/EDIT]

Dance

I visit main index page daily, dont bother reading it but I love the look of it so I just visit it, after that straight off to the forums I am supposed to moderate :)

Which page do you love the look of? The homepage portal or the forum index?

The homepage portal.

Both the pages have their own advantages and I think both have been designed nicely to fulfill the requirements.

I know that there fourm specific and ots easy to tell if im in the right place or not by the coloer of the bar

Actully im gonna use the index now cuz its kinda hepful and I've been emotionlly beated...thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.