Have been searching through all options but found nothing ...

How do I ?

Thanks;

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You actually can't, sorry.
Might I ask why you would like that?

You actually can't, sorry.
Might I ask why you would like that?

I never ever used it ...

I never ever used it ...

I see. But why don't you just ignore the fact that you have an account here?
If you do not want to receive email anymore, just click the un-subscribe link at the bottom of each Daniweb email. Or you can:

• go to your control-panel
  • click 'edit options'
  • scroll down to 'Messaging & Notification'
  • un-check every option there

Hope that helps!

Exactly niek_e ... sorry, we're actually required to fulfill antispam regulations to keep information about every user who registers with us on record.

Here is the step by step guide on how to do it:
Go to Control Panel then scroll down to Messaging & Notification
You will see 4 options
Receive Email From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices No
Receive Occassional Email from DaniWeb No
Receive Email from Other Members No
Default Thread Subscription Do not subscribe
Have a nice life.

Would have been nice to have been notified a little better about the fact that you have chosen to keep ALL of MY information for your selves, before I joined.

I want to leave and I don't want my information visible to anybody else. If I choose to not visit the site and not receive emails that still means that there is a public profile page of me which your system has decided to introduce (I didn't sign up for it or agree to its use).

In fact as there has been significant change to the service you should have asked us to confirm that we accepted the changes. You have basically just changed your side of our contract without discussion.

Also you claim anti-spam laws as the reason for why you have to keep my info. Which laws exactly? I mean it. If you're gonna use them then you better be able to quote them.

Weird, cos I live in NZ too and spend a lot of time studying law and IT and I haven't found anything anywhere that says you can keep my private information and display it to the public when you choose!!

Anyway, this bit IS A PERCEIVED THREAT. Stoip stealing people's data/identities or your site will probably disappear from the web for several weeks, just long enough to bankrupt you I would imagine!

Go to your profile and remove/fake all the personal information. Based on the info I see publicly, you live in Wellington. Nothing else. How is that threatening? Especially if you change it to Caloris Basin, Mercury?

In fact as there has been significant change to the service you should have asked us to confirm that we accepted the changes. You have basically just changed your side of our contract without discussion.

When did it change? Only the site formatting has changed that I know of. What was the service description when you signed up, and how is it different now?

Anyway, this bit IS A PERCEIVED THREAT. Stoip stealing people's data/identities or your site will probably disappear from the web for several weeks, just long enough to bankrupt you I would imagine!

Planning something interesting? Thanks for the warning. We now know who to look at first if it happens...

I agree with WaltP above, maybe this time:)
Errors, errors and more errors...

--> Would have been nice to have been notified a little better about the fact that you have chosen to keep ALL of MY information for your selves, before I joined.

Before you joined how do we have information about you?

--> In fact as there has been significant change to the service you should have asked us to confirm that we accepted the changes. You have basically just changed your side of our contract without discussion.

What changes are you talking about? If moderators and adminstrators have changed this site with the permission of the founder of this site. Why should they ask you?

What contract are you talking about?

--> Anyway, this bit IS A PERCEIVED THREAT. Stoip stealing people's data/identities or your site will probably disappear from the web for several weeks, just long enough to bankrupt you I would imagine!

Is that a threat i am hearing?

We are not stealing any data so you got that part totally wrong. Do take a look at this first!

In the link above. Under Member Profiles

Registered members have the option of filling out a user profile which includes personal information such as their full name, contact information and employment status. All such information is optional. While some of it is used by DaniWeb as part of market research studies, some information, such as a member's full name, may be displayed publically within member profiles.

> we're actually required to fulfill antispam regulations to keep information about every user who registers with us on record.
You mean this?
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business
I'm curious about this para

Honor opt-out requests promptly. Any opt-out mechanism you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your message. You must honor a recipient’s opt-out request within 10 business days. You can’t charge a fee, require the recipient to give you any personally identifying information beyond an email address, or make the recipient take any step other than sending a reply email or visiting a single page on an Internet website as a condition for honoring an opt-out request. Once people have told you they don’t want to receive more messages from you, you can’t sell or transfer their email addresses, even in the form of a mailing list. The only exception is that you may transfer the addresses to a company you’ve hired to help you comply with the CAN-SPAM Act.

How is having two databases (the members AND the ex-members) any safer than having just one list (the members)?

I mean, all it will take is just ONE screwup (either through incompetence or malice) and you're bent over a legal barrel and the system is gonna screw you for everything they can get out of you.

The only reason for having two lists is if you buy in other peoples lists', and you have to cross-check with the ex-members list to make sure you don't spam anyone who has formally told you to leave them alone.

If you only have one list, and don't buy in lists, you can only ever send messages to people on your members list.
If this describes what you do, how does this NOT meet the requirements of CAN-SPAM?

commented: Confuse look +0

Would have been nice to have been notified a little better about the fact that you have chosen to keep ALL of MY information for your selves, before I joined.

I want to leave and I don't want my information visible to anybody else. If I choose to not visit the site and not receive emails that still means that there is a public profile page of me which your system has decided to introduce (I didn't sign up for it or agree to its use).

Also you claim anti-spam laws as the reason for why you have to keep my info. Which laws exactly? I mean it. If you're gonna use them then you better be able to quote them.

Weird, cos I live in NZ too and spend a lot of time studying law and IT and I haven't found anything anywhere that says you can keep my private information and display it to the public when you choose!!

Baaaaaaaaa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.