Would you consider to create daniweb group on twitter?
That way you could easily make quick updates in regards of any site changes, server downtime etc.

If there is already group please provide url.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Looks like someone has taken the daniweb name on Twitter (back at the end of 2008) although the account is hardly active with 1 foreign language post and just the 1 follower.

There are mechanisms by which a business can reclaim a name from Twitter, which I could follow up if there is enough interest from the members here to make a DaniWeb Twitter presence viable.

So, would you like to see us on Twitter and what would you like to see posted there - service updates, server downtimes, links to latest DaniWeb news postings etc?

Maybe add your yes/no vote here, along with your Twitter username.

I'll start the ball rolling:

Yes, happygeek.

Looks like someone has taken the daniweb name on Twitter (back at the end of 2008) although the account is hardly active with 1 foreign language post and just the 1 follower.

*Whew* I had to make sure it wasn't my Daniweb Twitterbot. That description didn't resemble that bot, but I had to check. :icon_razz:

I've only been on Twitter for 2.5 years, and didn't know about that one! :) Now following...

We've been talking here in the office about starting a twitter feed, but hit a roadblock when the DaniWeb name was already taken.

Exactly. An Australian publication I write for just went through this process, took a couple of months but eventually the username was surrendered to it.

The fact that the daniweb username is not active, and has never really been, means the process should be speeded up considerably I would imagine.

Does everything need to be Twitified??

So, would you like to see us on Twitter and what would you like to see posted there - service updates, server downtimes, links to latest DaniWeb news postings etc?

Isn't that info available to any regular user of the site? As to links to latest postings, that could get awfully long and congested. Maybe I am very anti-Twitter, but a regular user can easily look-up new postings, an email alerts to responses to subscribed threads really all one needs.

NB: If someone already has the the ID "Daniweb", why not leave the poor bastard alone? He did get in first.

Shouldn't be too much of a roadblock.

http://twitter.zendesk.com/forums/26257/entries/18367

But if the guy has all of one post and a single follower, how has he breached the site's rules? He obviously hasn't tried to impersonate the site or tried to defraud anyone... likely has never even heard of this site. Sorry, but against bully-boy tactics!

>Does everything need to be Twitified??

Maybe; who knows.

>Isn't that info available to any regular user of the site?

Not exactly; Daniweb hasn't exactly got a specialized forum for publishing daily alerts or notifications. So, if you end up subscribing to a general purpose forum like "Daniweb Community Feedback", you'd get alerts for all threads created, which might not be what a user wants.

>But if the guy has all of one post and a single follower

...and no activity.

>He obviously hasn't tried to impersonate the site or tried to defraud
>anyone

How can you be so sure?

>Sorry, but against bully-boy tactics!

Sorry, but that's how the world works. :-)

I usually see no point of using twitter for a lot of things. But for this i must say i wouldn't mind it. That way i could find out if the server was going down for a short amount of time rather than just stressing that something was stuffed up on my end.

And also it would be nice to have site news :P

>Isn't that info available to any regular user of the site?

Not exactly; Daniweb hasn't exactly got a specialized forum for publishing daily alerts or notifications. So, if you end up subscribing to a general purpose forum like "Daniweb Community Feedback", you'd get alerts for all threads created, which might not be what a user wants.

I wasn't referring to alerts (which I get for threads subscribed to), but the sidebar built into the site (see pic below, and I'm sure you'll recognise). Is how I filter through recent postings to see if anything catches interest.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.