Awesome job dani, looks great! Congrats!!! Hope you see a nice return on all the time you put in to it!

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

Thanks! So many things are still broken. But I just couldn't resist holding back any longer. So I think I may have released it a tad early. A regret, yes. But what can ya do ;)

Huh? Did something change? ;)

Minor gripe: Your fontage seems a little small, and if it's small for me, a lot of people may have a problem with it.

I just couldn't resist holding back any longer. So I think I may have released it a tad early

lol.

Um, well... yeah, a little bit of a "heads-up" would have been nice; the changes got applied in between the time I had read a post and then had a chance to compose and submit my reply. Once the reply went through and the page refreshed, I thought I'd been sucked through a wormhole into some weird alternate DaniWeb universe!

Familiar strangely yes were things, yet the same exactly find them not did I....

:mrgreen:

Sorry about that Dave. Guess you weren't following the thread in the Community Helpers forum, eh? ;) There was even a prototype of the forum index I posted for review the other day.

Sorry about that Dave. Guess you weren't following the thread in the Community Helpers forum, eh? ;)

Erm, sorry Dani... no. :o

Guess I was too busy responding to unanswered threads, splitting/merging threads, chowing down HJT logs, and all those other fun things that I do around here.

Crikey. I will say that riding shotgun over this site is getting a might harder as it gets larger and more popular. We're obviously doing something right here, but I'm gonna have to resort to guzzling cases of Red Bull's or something just to keep up with the traffic, especially if you let Chris have another vacation any time soon....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just a question, the quick reply area is still using default VB css, will that change or stay the same because this blue in quick reply area does not go along with the rest of the site. Otherwise it looks awesome. Though adds right above quick reply are annoying as you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom to type a reply.

although reletavily new here, i liked the old look...i like the new one too though! it got me by suprise, however, i thought something was wrong with my browser haha love the site though great job

Very good job! I´ll have to agree with scribbler that the add just above the quick reply is a nuisance. Reason being that you can´t see the previous post when writing the reply, so if you need to refer to it you have to keep scrolling up and down.

Since a reply is the major activity for active participants, it´s an area of concern. If that ad stays there, I hope you are charging an arm and a leg for it, as it is seen about 80% of the time.

Very good job! I´ll have to agree with scribbler that the add just above the quick reply is a nuisance. Reason being that you can´t see the previous post when writing the reply, so if you need to refer to it you have to keep scrolling up and down.

Since a reply is the major activity for active participants, it´s an area of concern. If that ad stays there, I hope you are charging an arm and a leg for it, as it is seen about 80% of the time.

I just used the 'Quote/reply' button to do this, and I was easily able to embolden the relevent part of your comment as well!

:D

Looks very nice. Well done :)

Im loving the new change!

great look!

OK, catweazle, I´ll go along with that...I still think that ad should cost them a lot more than the others. Exposure=$

One suggestion. On posts by those folks without a sig, there should be some more white space at the end - esp, if the post is a one-liner, it´s almost lost...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Due to numerous people yelling at me, the font has been changed. As far as the box ad above the quick reply ... In the old design, there was a Google AdSense banner after the first post, a Google AdSense banner after the last post on every page, and a box ad at the very, very bottom of the page (which performed very poorly). Instead, I decided to condense those three ad spots into one awesome performing box ad. Keep in mind, the old style had an ad in the same spot after the last post on the page, it was just a wide banner instead of a leaderboard - in addition to two other ads that are now gone. (A lot of people found the one after the first post especially obnoxious, for example). As promised, the new layout is not any more advertising-heavy than the old version was.

One suggestion. On posts by those folks without a sig, there should be some more white space at the end - esp, if the post is a one-liner, it´s almost lost...

Agreed; I'm having a bit of a problem with that as well.

Thanks for the new font - much better...

one thing to be addressed is a login box, i know there is a login link but a login box would be great:)

New layout, color scheme, basically EVERYTHING look awesome!!:mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback :) The reason why the user info is now above posts instead of to the left, is because we now have a sidebar, and I think that adding user info to the left there as well, would take up too much horizontal screen real estate. It would make it difficult for HJT logs and programming code, IMO.

I added some padding around the message bodies. Hopefully that should increase post readability. Let me know. I actually frequent many forums that have the posts with the user info above them, just like we now have, and I therefore am already completely used to it. So it's hard for me to see how it can be improved since i'm so used to viewing threads like this.

And here is my reasoning for no login box ... When you first register on the forums, you're logged in automatically after you register. Then, most people keep their user prefs stored and therefore are automatically logged in when they visit. Therefore, the login box isn't often used. Therefore, since I really wanted to stress a new, ultra clean, ultra easy to navigate site for usability reasons, I didn't think that it was worth occupying valuable space with a login box when a simple login link could suffice. Would logging in manually be the norm each time a member visited the site, or would new members be required to login manually, then it would be a different story.

Thanks for the feedback :) The reason why the user info is now above posts instead of to the left, is because we now have a sidebar, and I think that adding user info to the left there as well, would take up too much horizontal screen real estate. It would make it difficult for HJT logs and programming code, IMO.

I added some padding around the message bodies. Hopefully that should increase post readability. Let me know. I actually frequent many forums that have the posts with the user info above them, just like we now have, and I therefore am already completely used to it. So it's hard for me to see how it can be improved since i'm so used to viewing threads like this.

And here is my reasoning for no login box ... When you first register on the forums, you're logged in automatically after you register. Then, most people keep their user prefs stored and therefore are automatically logged in when they visit. Therefore, the login box isn't often used. Therefore, since I really wanted to stress a new, ultra clean, ultra easy to navigate site for usability reasons, I didn't think that it was worth occupying valuable space with a login box when a simple login link could suffice. Would logging in manually be the norm each time a member visited the site, or would new members be required to login manually, then it would be a different story.

yeah but... what if you cleaned ur cookies:(

Cleaning out your cookies isn't something that is normally done on a daily basis. Therefore, if you clean out your cookies, just hit the login link. ;) What I mean to say is for the amount of times the login box is used, I don't think it qualifies for having a form occupying space on every page.

i noticed the mod_rewrite wasnt reinstalled, just reminding u dani:D

Right now I have it set in action for guests but not for logged in members.

:cool: Out of some 50 or so forums I visit, this is one of the top 5! (maybe #1) You will go very far, dear Dani! Great job!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.