Just curious...

This forum seems really neat, and I'll bet the people here are really interesting. Is there a TechTalk Forums IRC channel?

I already frequent irc.freenode.net-- do you guys hang out anywhere else?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Nope, there's no IRC channel. Mostly because I've never been much of an IRC junkie and wouldn't know the first thing about setting one up. A second reason is because bandwidth and processor usage of the server is, of course, a huge concern.

The only channel I frequent on the IRCs is #vBorg, #vBnl, and #vBcom which is basically composed of the vBulletin community. They're on server irc.devcore.co.uk (I *think*) or irc.vbulletin.nl

Nope, there's no IRC channel. Mostly because I've never been much of an IRC junkie and wouldn't know the first thing about setting one up. A second reason is because bandwidth and processor usage of the server is, of course, a huge concern.

Cool thing is, you wouldn't have to set it up on your server. There are plenty (irc.freenode.net and irc.oftc.net are good ones) that let you set them up for free. That way, no bandwidth or anything would be consumed from this server, because it'd all be somewhere else.

Heck, I'm no IRC guru, but I could help set one up somewhere.If anything, folks are welcome in #justlinux at irc.freenode.net. It's the unofficial JustLinux IRC channel. We don't always talk about Linux, and everyone there (when there's anyone) is really friendly.

i think it would be a good idea to set up an irc, perferably at irc.freenode.net :)

I can do it, but since it's the holidays, I'm won't be on IRC that much. If anyone gets the unction to do it before I do, be sure to post the server and the channel name here!

Same server as the vBulletin.org channel, for those vBulletin fanatics such as me :) :p

Darn, I wish I saw this post sooner. Personally, I think whoever runs the devcore servers picked really bad services ;-). How could you not use Anope? lol...

My network has 9 servers and 2 hubs (irc.BetasIRC.net), and devcore has two servers... I wish #TechTalk was on my network :-(. IRC is what I do - I run a large network, and a large channel (1000 users in the channel on a good day).

Oh well..

Authserv is okay, not that bad :)

thats a great achievment ... congrats Dani and all daniweb geeks

What server do you use to run your own IRC server?

UltimateIRCd ... and Anope for services.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.