Does the search algorithm use the current contents of the database, or a snapshot? Because I can do a search for something I know exists in a recent thread, but it doesn't show up in the results.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I fancy Dani mentioning that Daniweb search is powered by Google so it wouldn't surprise me if the search is performed against a snapshot and not live data.

Our site search feature (in the navigation menu) is based off of Google's enterprise search product, so basically it's based off of Google crawling our pages and indexing them, the way that they would do for the rest of the web.

If you use the forum search feature (www.daniweb.com/forums/search.php) it is based off of an in-house snapshot that is taken once an hour.

>If you use the forum search feature (www.daniweb.com/forums
>/search.php) it is based off of an in-house snapshot that is taken once an hour.
That's understandable, but the missing results I'm seeing are older by at least a day. I would expect them to be in the snapshot. Here's an example. Do an advanced search for the keyword "Narue", leaving everything else default. This thread is not in the result list, despite having the keyword and being older than one hour.

[threadjack]Somewhere around here I'd asked about retaining the username for an Advanced Search following an unsuccessful search attempt (just like it retains the keyword(s). Is this something that can be added?

>If you use the forum search feature (www.daniweb.com/forums
>/search.php) it is based off of an in-house snapshot that is taken once an hour.
That's understandable, but the missing results I'm seeing are older by at least a day. I would expect them to be in the snapshot. Here's an example. Do an advanced search for the keyword "Narue", leaving everything else default. This thread is not in the result list, despite having the keyword and being older than one hour.

Google search doesn't use snapshots.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.