In a mockingly descant voice, "A lot of room for abuse there, right cscgal?" He ended his question with an insidious wink and nudge. Then left to down-vote every single insightful comment on the web with a similar system, from the safety of nine-thousand sock puppets.

*rolls eyes*

Nice narrative structure, but a tad melodramatic :D

Nooooooooo!
Now DaniWeb is like StackOverflow! :(
With this reputation!

LOL What's wrong with StackOverflow?

LOL What's wrong with StackOverflow?

More like what ISNT wrong...

I smell stackholm syndrome.

Or a "Stack" of down votes :D

So from what I understood:
The reputation system affects both the rep points as well as the voting points of the specific post,
but
The voting system affects only the voting points?

Also is it possible when the user clicks the Up,Down button to display a pop up confirmation dialog? Once I wanted to down vote a post and I accidentally clicked the Up button. The opposite thing might happen. Can you make the Up, Down buttons not to look exactly the same?

By the way I found one of my posts that I did back at 2008! to be down voted even though the post contained a clear solution to the problem of the OP. I know that like the rep points, anyone can give you whatever points they want, negative or positive, but I find it strange that someone decided to down vote a post that is 1 year old without a single explanation.
At least with the reputation system you get to describe the reasons for your selection.

Thank you for your time.

commented: I totally agree with you there +0

By the way I found one of my posts that I did back at 2008! to be down voted even though the post contained a clear solution to the problem of the OP. I know that like the rep points, anyone can give you whatever points they want, negative or positive, but I find it strange that someone decided to down vote a post that is 1 year old without a single explanation.
At least with the reputation system you get to describe the reasons for your selection.

I have one from a year and a half ago where someone must have weighed in very recently since up/down has only been available for a month.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread116831.html

I can't figure out what would be controversial about this post or why someone decided to down-vote it a year and a half later, nor do I know who did it. I'm not crazy about this anonymous up/down stuff. I'm a big believer that if you criticize or praise someone in a public way, you should attach your name to it so everyone knows who did it. With the up-down vote, you never know who did it or why. And there really should be some time limit somewhere.

I'm not crazy about this anonymous up/down stuff. I'm a big believer that if you criticize or praise someone in a public way, you should attach your name to it so everyone knows who did it. With the up-down vote, you never know who did it or why.

Another vote for the DevShed approach? (Where even 0 rep bumps have attributions, and commenting available as to a reason why?)
:icon_razz:

And there really should be some time limit somewhere.

I don't think I'd be a fan of time limits. I think FAQ-like stuff and good posts should be able to garner the poster +rep to future visitors who found things helpful. Neg rep might be a different matter, however.

I know that like the rep points, anyone can give you whatever points they want, negative or positive, but I find it strange that someone decided to down vote a post that is 1 year old without a single explanation.

Yeah but then there are the people who give you negative rep because they don't like your signature. :icon_rolleyes:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post1024213.html#post1024213
Not that I'm complaining or anything ;)

I'm not crazy about this anonymous up/down stuff. I'm a big believer that if you criticize or praise someone in a public way, you should attach your name to it so everyone knows who did it.

Well as VernonDozier said, shouldn't you at least be able to mention the reasons why you Up or Down voted a post, or be able to see who did it to your post?

I agree with seeing *who* upvoted/downvoted a post but if that were implemented then it would be more or less the same as the reputation system. Its just a matter of time before someone does "Find all posts by...." and starts downvoting

I have one from a year and a half ago where someone must have weighed in very recently since up/down has only been available for a month.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread116831.html

Well, this post is neutral again. Thanks to whoever upvoted me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.