Because the question asked in the first post of a thread typically gauges whether the thread is worth clicking into. That's why even if I'm not interested in it or don't know the answer, I try to up vote a good, nicely presented question and I down vote a homework question or a question with 1337 speak.

Sorry, I think I found another one :icon_rolleyes: On one thread, a post had 2 up-votes, I down-voted it and it fell to 0 votes. I tested it again on this post when it had 3 up-votes (one of them may have already been mine), and it went down to 1, and when I up-voted it again, it jumped to 3. Is it supposed to do that? and what about if I want to put it on 2?

*sigh* I can never win, can I?

No, you can't. :icon_twisted:
Anyway, I like the new color and position for the vote-buttons, so no b*tchin' from me anymore.
Regarding the numbers shown in front of the thread, I do have a suggestion however. ;)

> I tested it again on this post when it had 3 up-votes (one of them may have already been mine), and it went down to 1, and when I up-voted it again, it jumped to 3. Is it supposed to do that? and what about if I want to put it on 2?

It was at 2 before you voted. Then you upvoted, and you gave it a +1 and it went to 3. Then you changed your vote to a -1 instead, so it went to 1. If you wanted it to be at 2 then you shouldn't have voted.

Not sure if I like it. I got 3 negative votes for posts where I posted help :(

Not sure if I like it. I got 3 negative votes for posts where I posted help

Don't take them seriously, it was most probably just one guy being an idiot :P

Maybe it was someone I warned. Will have to immediately ban in future :twisted:

I may have missed it, but it looks like my 'Power to affect' someone else's rep has been halved.
It was 32 positive, 16 negative. Now it's 16 and 8.

EDIT. That's weird. Now I have zero negative :-O

I may have missed it, but it looks like my 'Power to affect' someone else's rep has been halved.
It was 32 positive, 16 negative. Now it's 16 and 8.

That's how the ball started rolling which lead to all the changes in the last few days :)

That's how the ball started rolling which lead to all the changes in the last few days :)

Oh man......I waited for over five years to get 32 power points and look what happens. It's a conspiracy to keep me here for another five :ooh:

EDIT. That's weird. Now I have zero negative :-O

Its fine! I changed it to +1 when I saw your comment :D

Not sure if I like it. I got 3 negative votes for posts where I posted help :(

(and those 3 posts didn't deserve a negative vote!)

Oh man......I waited for over five years to get 32 power points and look what happens. It's a conspiracy to keep me here for another five :ooh:

Tell me about it. I had like 25 and now 10 ;) But I think it's a good thing.I don't destroy peoples reputation completely when I disagree anymore, which is a good thing IMO :)

[edit]
And I don't have a problem with being downvoted. It actually quite interesting, because my profile tells me:
Total Down-Votes Received: 9
Individual Members Who've Down-Voted: 3

So 1-3 people here on Daniweb really disagree with me *a lot* :) But they were to scared to down-rep me previously because that wasn't anonymous!

Its fine! I changed it to +1 when I saw your comment :D

(and those 3 posts didn't deserve a negative vote!)

Cool. That's rep for you :D

I personally like the system. I also think it was well designed as far as the interface. The only thing I don't like is that it is going to discourage people from disagreeing (see: this thread) because they will be down voted just for having a different opinion, (which in my opinion is a mis-use of the system, but that can't be controlled).

...they will be down voted just for having a different opinion, (which in my opinion is a mis-use of the system, but that can't be controlled).

Yes it can - if you do agree with something then vote it up. As long as people use the voting system then the abusers will be drowned out and deserving posts will get positive scores. If the 'wisdom of crowds' is allowed to come into play, only those posts which do actually suck should show as negative. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.