, like banning Rashakil Fol again

The man may be blunt, but he knows what he's talking about and gets the point across - which is more than I can say about most people.

Much better :) The bug I pointed out quite some time ago in this thread was never fixed either.

I noticed the 'new' buttons on the thread lists.

Found them very annoying, I ususally look to see if the thread title is bold to tell if there are any new posts.

Infact, I wrote a GreaseMonkey script just to get rid of them :(
http://stuff.elvenblade.com/remove_new.user.js

Yeah i dont much like them either. People who have been here a while know what the buttons are for. As well the newbies probably arent going to need those buttons anyway.. i doubt they will be posting in many different threads all over the place anyway.

And they are getting really conspicuous. :S

Don't like 'em either. I've used the arrow-thing for years and was quite content with it.
Also, the new reputation-pop-up is cluttered with information that :
- a regular doesn't care about.
- a newbie doesn't understand.

and last but not least: it appears that all the new improvements (...) caused DW to run 3-4 as slow as it did before (and it wasn't very fast to start with). It's getting worse and worse. I haven't been active in the C++ forum for a week now, because it takes me 15 seconds to load a thread.

and last but not least: it appears that all the new improvements (...) caused DW to run 3-4 as slow as it did before (and it wasn't very fast to start with). It's getting worse and worse. I haven't been active in the C++ forum for a week now, because it takes me 15 seconds to load a thread.

I agree. I think maximizing speed should be a top priority. No offense, but Daniweb has been running very slowly recently. And as niek_e pointed out, it does turn people away from reading multiple threads. There's just not enough time in the day to sit through all those long loading screens.

No offense, but Daniweb has been running very slowly

I think its related to the problems thay we have been having with the database and the virtual hosting.

I think its related to the problems thay we have been having with the database and the virtual hosting.

That problem has been here for what? 1-2 months?
Frankly I'm getting tired of waiting for threads to load.

[edit]
from pressing the post-button, to actually seeing my posted message took >20 seconds this time...

Seems like not many people like the "new" button. The only thing I don't like about the "new" button on each thread is how it stands out so much. If it were kinda faded with the background a bit then that would be a lot better as IMO the "new" button stands out more than the topic title and that's bad.

That problem has been here for what? 1-2 months?
Frankly I'm getting tired of waiting for threads to load.

[edit]
from pressing the post-button, to actually seeing my posted message took >20 seconds this time...

I haven't had any problems today, but yesterday morning was pretty slow.

/Sigh
NoScript+AdblockPlus, USE THEM!!. I haven't seen these "new buttons" you guys are talking about, and it takes less than 2 seconds for all 30 posts on this page to load.

EDIT: Less than 1.5 seconds to post this btw.

I agree that the "New" buttons are too large. I prefer the previous version that wasn't so intrusive.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

This site is getting ridiculous with all its mickey mouse gimmicks and shiny useless buttons telling me,

'hey look this is a new post'...

'hey look iamthwee you are surfing daniweb'

C'mon give the internet users some credit.

---------

And the reputation boxes are too large now, and contain superfluous information. I don't care if i'm affecting x's rating by 13.21 points, or if x has 123422 rep points. It's becoming an information overload, most of which is unnecessary and OTT.

Again: I'm reiterating because I feel very strongly about this.

The 'new' buttons are distracting and unnecessary. They don't add any features to the site - let me explain. If I have already been in a thread, I know approximately where I left off, and there is already an indicator that there are new posts there (the link is dark blue or something) so I know to go back. If I haven't been in a thread before, then I already know I haven't been in there, the link is still blue, and the 'new' button does nothing except tell me what I already know: that I haven't read any posts in there.

So you see - in either case - I don't see what that button contributes except an eyesore. I'm not trying to be rude because I think this site rocks, and I think almost every feature is pretty good layout-wise. . but this one. . ugh.

The 'new' buttons are distracting and unnecessary. They don't add any features to the site - let me explain. If I have already been in a thread, I know approximately where I left off, and there is already an indicator that there are new posts there (the link is dark blue or something) so I know to go back. If I haven't been in a thread before, then I already know I haven't been in there, the link is still blue, and the 'new' button does nothing except tell me what I already know: that I haven't read any posts in there.

So you see - in either case - I don't see what that button contributes except an eyesore. I'm not trying to be rude because I think this site rocks, and I think almost every feature is pretty good layout-wise. . but this one. . ugh.

I agree, but for now you will just have to use AdBlock or something if it annoys you that badly :icon_lol:

+1, valid points :)

I think the previous small blue button was perfectly satisfactory.
I have the old image saved onto my PC and just use GreaseMonkey to replace it :D

It wouldn't be so bad if the image wasn't so 'in your face' I think it is too big and bold.

I just noticed the "Start new thread" buttons and "Reply to Thread" buttons have just got bigger. Why are the buttons on daniweb have suddenly been enlarged? Is there any advantage because I thought the buttons looked better smaller.

I just noticed the "Start new thread" buttons and "Reply to Thread" buttons have just got bigger. Why are the buttons on daniweb have suddenly been enlarged? Is there any advantage because I thought the buttons looked better smaller.

I don't see any benefit to it, although there seem to be a few sites that are 'mimicking' Google's recent OAP friendly style or larger buttons and input fields :D.

I'm not too bothered by the bigger buttons though :)

I suspect the larger buttons are to help newbes figure out how to post a new thread or a response to an existing thread. I've seen comments by a few people who didn't know how to do that most likely too inexperienced with posting on forums.

Is it just me, or has the 'Whos online' block disappeared from the end of the page as well?

Is it just me, or has the 'Whos online' block disappeared from the end of the page as well?

You're right :icon_neutral: It's gone.

Dani, what's going on? :P

The new reptuation box ate it. Where do you think she got all the extra pixels from? :(

You're right :icon_neutral: It's gone.

Dani, what's going on? :P

It was broken, showing names twice and people that had already logged off awhile ago.

:( No its not just you.. Thats a bummer. I liked that

Ah, seems Dani's last tweet addresses the lack of online users:

DaniWeb: No longer calculating users online has reduced database load avg from 1.5 to 0.3 ... No longer stressing about db issues

Though, surely there would be a less resource hungry way to do it...

Yep, I think it's a pretty essential thing to have. For example, alot of the time when I browse the C/C++ forums, I find a thread I feel I can answer, but then I see someone such as Ancient Dragon is already at it, it saves me having to make a useless second post.

It's also just generally nice to see who's online :)

Yep, I think it's a pretty essential thing to have. For example, alot of the time when I browse the C/C++ forums, I find a thread I feel I can answer, but then I see someone such as Ancient Dragon is already at it, it saves me having to make a useless second post.

It's also just generally nice to see who's online :)

I must say i agree. I will do the same in the python forum.. If vegaseat is already there, i needn't bother.

Hm, the online users seems to be back now for thread views :)

Really is useful!

That would be much appreciated!

sorry for the delay,i was on a trip.
here is a screenshot from what is see on my monitor !

I do like the design. It's clean and easy to read/view. I applaud your asking for input - wish more folks would. Keep up the great work!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.