I have gotten soooo many mixed opinions lately, and I was wondering what you guys thought of the current style. Please be brutally honest. I'm not talking about "It's missing a link in a convenient place" or little functional things that can easily be changed/added/removed. I'm talking about the color scheme, the main navigation, the aesthetics, if it's pleasing to the eye to look at for a long time, etc.

Personally I'm never bothered so much by the user interface as long as the site content is presented in a nice and simple way that is readable by everyone. So far I think you are doing fine in the implementation of the user interface.
My biggest worry is always in the speed and performance of the site; for example make a comparison between yahoo and gmail.
1. Yahoo wins by far when it comes to user interface implementation
2. Gmail wins by far when it comes to speed and performance
Personally I think daniweb is doing well in both speed and user interface. My only suggestion is that you do away with the ads for registered users.

Yahoo wins by far when it comes to user interface implementation

What!!! yahoo is hideous!

My only suggestion is that you do away with the ads for registered users.

They're there for a reason, without them there wouldn't be any funding for the site.

They're there for a reason, without them there wouldn't be any funding for the site.

Yep. If you donate or are staff, they go away. If you have a free account, then you will have the ads. Thats the only way it can be. If we didnt have ads we would have to become a pay-site like experts exchange, and nobody wants that.

Yep. If you donate or are staff, they go away. If you have a free account, then you will have the ads. Thats the only way it can be. If we didnt have ads we would have to become a pay-site like experts exchange, and nobody wants that.

Never liked experts exchange, so you're right there. Heh, if you remove the dash from their site, and split it up yourself..
experts-exchange -> expert-sex-change. Gosh I'm immature.

commented: lol +0

And me after some years ....
some iof round corder boxes seems to be shown wrong. they are inverse.

some iof round corder boxes seems to be shown wrong. they are inverse.

Are you using IE6?

That would also happen if you are using browser zoom.

no,i am using FireFox and i didn't change zoom. my monitor is 20" wide,but it is ok on 17" regular monitor now.
i can put a screenshot from it tomorrow,if you want.

I noticed that the reply buttons on each post has changed but it makes something stand out more that I previously ignored. How does the "Flag to Quote" button work because for me I cannot get it to do anything except change color as I don't know what it does or how it changes anything. Just something I thought I would bring up as I am not sure on how many other people treat the "Flag to Quote" button as a non-usable button.

You can click the 'flag to quote' button on multiple posts. When you've 'flagged' a few posts and then click the yellow 'reply to this thread' button, all the posts you've flagged will be quoted in your new reply.

I personally think that the new button have a 'web 1.0' feel to them. :)

Its a feature. You can hit "Flag to quote" on as many posts as you want and when you hit the reply button it will insert quote tags for all of the posts you have flagged. This is a lot easier than hitting "Open in new tab" on the "Reply w/ quote" button and copying the quote tags to respond to multiple people.

See below:

That would be much appreciated!

I noticed that the reply buttons on each post has changed but it makes something stand out more that I previously ignored. How does the "Flag to Quote" button work because for me I cannot get it to do anything except change color as I don't know what it does or how it changes anything. Just something I thought I would bring up as I am not sure on how many other people treat the "Flag to Quote" button as a non-usable button.

Wow! Just tried it (below) and will make things a lot easier. :) Thanks for the tips.
*_^

You can click the 'flag to quote' button on multiple posts. When you've 'flagged' a few posts and then click the yellow 'reply to this thread' button, all the posts you've flagged will be quoted in your new reply.

I personally think that the new button have a 'web 1.0' feel to them. :)

Its a feature. You can hit "Flag to quote" on as many posts as you want and when you hit the reply button it will insert quote tags for all of the posts you have flagged. This is a lot easier than hitting "Open in new tab" on the "Reply w/ quote" button and copying the quote tags to respond to multiple people.

See below:

That is not a new feature -- its been there for billions of years :)

That is not a new feature -- its been there for billions of years :)

Nobody said that it was new - I just said it stands out more and now that I know what it does and can see the reason of why they made it stand out more than before. :-/

I disagree.

1) I don't like the new buttons. They have a retro feel and don't really do it for me. The yellow buttons fit the look of the page IMO.

2) I prefer multiquote rather than Flag to Quote. The former tells me what the button does. The latter tells me very little.

3) I want the Reply without quote back. I for one use it a lot.

1) I don't like the new buttons. They have a retro feel and don't really do it for me. The yellow buttons fit the look of the page IMO.

agreed

Just press the "quick reply" button, or the "reply to thread" button :)

I semiagree. The new buttons are just a bit too big. Maybe if they where about half or two thirds of current size IMO.

2) I prefer multiquote rather than Flag to Quote. The former tells me what the button does. The latter tells me very little.

I agree there.

Also I believe the multiquote button is not self explanatory so perhaps if an article or something was written explaining how to use all of these great features in deniweb.

an article or something was written explaining how to use all of these great features in daniweb.

Once upon a time there was a flash movie

commented: Another fine feature that has silently disappeared... +0

Yup. I need the flyover to remind me that it means multiquote.

Just press the "quick reply" button, or the "reply to thread" button :)

Ah, but that's defeatured.
:icon_razz:

Regarding button size, I generally bump the size of the whole page in my browser already, so for me embiggened stuff that is already embiggened makes them redundantly big.

The "new" buttons that just started showing up suck. They are annoying to look at and they are unnecessary and they serve little purpose. I can already tell which threads I looked at and I don't care if the thread was posted since the last time I visited the forum (or whatever else it is supposed to mean).

Sometimes part of that "What do you want to rate..." bubble is floating over all the post(don't have a pic), or the text isn't center and strays outside the bubble(sorry, no pix either).

Also, why is the question mark yellow-on-manila? I can't see it without squinting and holding my face against the monitor.

The "new" buttons that just started showing up suck. They are annoying to look at and they are unnecessary and they serve little purpose. I can already tell which threads I looked at and I don't care if the thread was posted since the last time I visited the forum (or whatever else it is supposed to mean).

Yeah, they're too bold and distract me from the title - I can't even focus on the title with such a thing popping out at me!

I don't care for the "new" buttons either -- they are annoying and serve no real purpose. And when I select "Post Since Last Visit", every listed thread has a "new" button -- which should be obvious.

I can't say I like the dotted underlining and popup either :icon_neutral:
It's all very distracting.

>>I can't say I like the dotted underlining and popup either
It just disappeared in the last ~5 minutes. I guess dani didn't like it either.

I don't like the "NEW" button either. Isn't that what the icon on the left of new posts is for? Or does this further distinguish between new and an unread post, versus just unread post?

I like the appearances of daniweb and I know you have to "spice things up" to keep competitive but I think that effort would be better suited in quality-related efforts, like banning Rashakil Fol again or more buttons for code tags and stuff on the posting forum box. I quit another forum I was posting on because Daniweb had a white blackground and I was tired of those dark-gray/black backgrounds. ^5 dani.

commented: Don't make me drop the almighty Banhammer on you! +0

but I think that effort would be better suited in quality-related efforts, like banning Rashakil Fol again

What for?

Rashakil Fol[/URL] again

Why?
And he has 5 points still on, so that will probably happen sooner or later ;)

The 'new' buttons always existed. However, they just had a little down arrow which didn't make much sense. I just edited the image to say the word "New" instead. (Also, you can click the button to instantly jump to the first new post since your last visit)

(Also, you can click the button to instantly jump to the first new post since your last visit)

Nice feature, but its not very reliable. Most of the time clicking New just takes me to the first or second post in the thread. I tried it with threads that had a lot of posts, and only once out of four times did it work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.