Everyone has way less than before, except for newbies, who appear to have the same. I remember Ancient Dragon starting a thread requesting a way that he could possibly neg rep someone without placing them in an eternal red zone. Makes sense. Everyone deserves to make a mistake and learn from it without damning them to the Scarlett Red rep forever. Someone on that thread, can't remember who, suggested giving the person the ability of giving negative points UP TO their full rep power (i.e. Ancient Dragon could give -1, -2, -3 points, ..., up to -30 or whatever). I kind of like that idea. Some posts (i.e. racist posts, cross posting for the twelfth time, no code tags for the 25th time, etc.) deserve a real blast and some deserve a fairly minor rebuke.

Anyway, just wondering why the rep power got adjusted for everyone all of a sudden. If it's because people who had a lot of it wanted the ability to rebuke someone without destroying them, that suggestion would solve that.

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

Yeah i must say i agree with Vernon. I think it would be great if we were able to change the amount of rep we gave.

To make it easy, you could have a default value that automatically went on to save time if needed. But if you wanted you could change. :)

A preview of what I've mentioned several times.

commented: yup +0
commented: Don't be a fool, that's way too easy and perfect a solution for them to use. :P +0

Wait! I only have +1/-1 with 419Reps, but someone with: 46Reps can have +2/-1, and 105Reps gets you +7/-3???

How does this all work now, or is this over the being an ass to DW?

Yeah thats a bit messed up. With my rep of 180 i have +2/-1?! :S

It has to do with post count / solved threads / time as a member too.

e.g I got 570 rep, +21/-10

vernon-dozier has like 1/4 of my post count and has only been here like a year or two - even although he has four times my [1996] rep (and we have about the same solved threads) , he only gets +8/-4).

I think you will probably get banned again before that happens lol

commented: You're just jealous of him. ;P +0

So s/he gets +1 for being here five more months than me, and that's all? Or is it for the solved:post ration; if so, then I lose power for posting in the lounges or if the OP doesn't mark it as solved? What about lurking, do I lose more for that too?

The one with 105Rep only has it for being here for over two years than, as well?

This needs clarification.

Rep power is a combination of how long you've been here, how many posts you have, and how much rep you have.

Soo, dani. Any chance of having that system they have at Dev Shed Forums?

Wait! I only have +1/-1 with 419Reps, but someone with: 46Reps can have +2/-1, and 105Reps gets you +7/-3???

How does this all work now, or is this over the being an ass to DW?

Yeah actually that is really confusing. Just looking around profiles i stumbled upon SoulMazer they have a +2/-1 as their rep power, even though they only have 12 rep points, 70 posts, and have only been on the site since September last year.

Thats a difference of 2 months, and yet that seems to be the thing making the difference. As Mosaic Funeral has loads more posts and tons more rep.. Just wondering how much posts are rep are actually being considered when rep power is being created if that is the case?

It has to do with post count / solved threads / time as a member too.

e.g I got 570 rep, +21/-10

vernon-dozier has like 1/4 of my post count and has only been here like a year or two - even although he has four times my [1996] rep (and we have about the same solved threads) , he only gets +8/-4).

I got 766 rep points with +16/-8 and have been here since 04. Those extra posts must count for a bit.

I got 766 rep points with +16/-8 and have been here since 04. Those extra posts must count for a bit.

I've been here since '06 and have 2427 rep and +10/-5. But I 'only' have 2,706 posts, so I think you're right, posts count for quite a bit.

The previous calculation was something like:
1000 posts = +1 rep power
1 year membership = +1 rep power
100 rep points = +1 rep power.

My rep-power was divided by about 3, so I guess it's now something like:
1000 posts = +1 rep power
1 year membership = +1 rep power
500 rep points = +1 rep power.

commented: only :P +0

Yeah, im not so sure i like the new system. I dont see why someone as useful to daniweb as MosaicFuneral is should only have the same amount of rep power as someone who has only been here for a month.

I think it would be better back at the other system, but seeing this whole problem arose from people not wanting to bury new users i think we should just have a system where you are able to allocate just how many rep points you want to give.

So yeah, my vote is for the old system back.

I really like the idea of the dropdown where you can select a rep amount to give/take which I believe was mentioned in AD's original thread about negative rep.

I dont see why someone as useful to daniweb as MosaicFuneral is should only have the same amount of rep power as someone who has only been here for a month.

Do not confuse rep-power with reputation. Reputation and 'solved threads' show how useful someone has been for the community (more or less anyway). The rep-power is nothing more then the amount of rep you add to someone else's reputation. It has nothing to do with how useful/good/etc you are. You can get a monster-rep-power just by posting 100.000 posts in the posting-games forum for example.

With that said, I would also like to select how many rep I give to someone, as mentioned by a lot of people already. But I think the solution Dani made is good enough and I just don't care enough to make a big deal out of it :)

Mmm, i guess in the end its only rep :P

commented: yup +0

I think the Member of the Month should have the most rep power.

SNIP

HAHAH!!! I always loved your way with words. I actually enjoy having you around, an oddball here or there is nice, plus you provide comic relief.

Josh would be ok if he would learn to control his fowl mouth. www.f***france.com would be a site he would enjoy.

Why was there a post removed from this thread? I was under the impression that Daniweb didn't remove posts. The main argument for this being: "it creates holes in the database". And you were right, it did exactly that in this thread. Jasimp's and AD's posts don't really make any sense anymore.
Better idea would be to snip the text from the posts, but leave the rest of the post there, so people understand to who a reply was made.
And did Josh just get banned for this one post?

Why was there a post removed from this thread? I was under the impression that Daniweb didn't remove posts. The main argument for this being: "it creates holes in the database". And you were right, it did exactly that in this thread. Jasimp's and AD's posts don't really make any sense anymore.
Better idea would be to snip the text from the posts, but leave the rest of the post there, so people understand to who a reply was made.

I didn't see anything wrong with Josh's post myself, so I don't know why it was deleted.

And did Josh just get banned for this one post?

Probably not. The admins many have permanently banned him

He is prema-banned

He has come back twice and each time he has done something bannable, so the current policy is to re-ban him automatically every time it expires instead.

And what did he do that was "bannable"? His post that was deleted does not meet the guidelines for an infraction under the "Keep it Pleasant Rule"

Do not troll by posting anything with malicious intent against another member (including, but not limited to, racist, sexist or religiously prejudiced remarks).

Secondly, why not just have a permanent ban, instead of this inefficient wait for it to expire policy.

And what did he do that was "bannable"? His post that was deleted does not meet the guidelines for an infraction under the "Keep it Pleasant Rule"

Secondly, why not just have a permanent ban, instead of this inefficient wait for it to expire policy.

I think what JBennet meant was that he was already perma-banned. So whenever he comes back he gets automatically banned again. If i understand correctly.

And what did he do that was "bannable"?

He has been banned twice already (this is the third - an instant rebanning was done as two bans generally == never allowed to come back again.) He has been perma-banned for some time (6 months each time) as each of the two times he came back he immediately started verbally abusing people.

thats the way we have to do permabans because there isnt that functionality in the system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.