Who is this Josh anyway?

He once was a regular here who posts were right on the edge. But one day some short-circuited and he's spamming Daniweb on and off for the last year or so.

but it would be funny if he used his main e-mail account for signing up.

Meh.

So do we know who the serial downvoters are? Surely it's just a matter of searching the DB and checking the user id against the user table? Perhaps that's obvious.

Dani is busy atm. She will look into it ASAP.

It's funny 'cuz the IP they banned was one globally used by the University. Dani just banned an *entire* campus of potential clients. HAHAA!

What Dani banned Dani can unban.

Member Avatar for diafol

Does this mean that Josh is a university student? If so, they should be informed of his activities, which has resulted in the blacklisting of their IP address (they would not approve, I'm sure). Else, if he is not a student and is using their IP address without permission, he should face other consequences, n'est pas?

Does this mean that Josh is a university student? If so, they should be informed of his activities, which has resulted in the blacklisting of their IP address (they would not approve, I'm sure). Else, if he is not a student and is using their IP address without permission, he should face other consequences, n'est pas?

Why would they care?

Member Avatar for diafol

I 'help' run our school network/webserver and would be furious if an user stopped other users from accessing areas of the internet due to their stupidity (e.g. spamming).

commented: you'd be furious, would you? well. that sounds pretty serious. +0

i'm surprised that there are people here who apparently believe any ISP is going to give two stale turds about some insignificant user trolling some random message board.

"Hello Comcast? Yes, there's this guy, you see, his name is Josh, and he's being mean on the internets.

And...?

And we want you to cancel his internet account."

O Rly?

Ya. Rly.

>i'm surprised that there are people here who apparently believe any
>ISP is going to give two stale turds about some insignificant user
>trolling some random message board.

I think you'd be surprised how seriously ISPs take issues of harassment, especially if the complaint is filed by a company. In the past, rather than risk any kind of lawsuit the ISP would drop offending accounts like a bad habit. I seriously doubt they've become more lenient over the years.

if your "system" requires constant vigilance from a team of lifeguards monitoring for people peeing in the pool, and manually booting them out every time another one does it, then that system is broken.

i'm surprised that there are people here who apparently believe any ISP is going to give two stale turds about some insignificant user trolling some random message board.

jephthah is the only person who has said anything even remotely intelligent thus far. He is absolutely right-- You shouldn't be looking at the spammer, but at the system itself. When a hacker discovers a problem, do you simply scold him and tell people to stop exploiting the system? Or do you actually fix it?

>i'm surprised that there are people here who apparently believe any
>ISP is going to give two stale turds about some insignificant user
>trolling some random message board.

I think you'd be surprised how seriously ISPs take issues of harassment, especially if the complaint is filed by a company. In the past, rather than risk any kind of lawsuit the ISP would drop offending accounts like a bad habit. I seriously doubt they've become more lenient over the years.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. ISPs couldn't care less if someone complained about spammers. Spamming internet forums isn't illegal. Perhaps distasteful, but not illegal. I guarantee you they will do absolutely nothing. (Also, daniweb isn't much of a 'company' anyway.)

Now, if you reported illegal activity such as downloading movies, music, excessive use of bandwidth, or something else that could become a legal liability for the ISP... then they would probably step in.

But, don't fool yourself; Contacting his ISP would do nothing.

commented: Not the best first impression... +0
commented: well, i liked it... +0

Also, daniweb isn't much of a 'company' anyway.)

Its a US registered limited company with a high turnover

According to this www.DaniWeb.com is owned by NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC

This is what I see:

Domain Name: DANIWEB.COM

Registrant:
Horowitz, Dani
DaniWeb
1140 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556
US

Domain Name: DANIWEB.COM
Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Horowitz, Dani
DaniWeb
1140 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556
US

According to this www.DaniWeb.com is owned by NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC

that's the registrar, not the owner.

Not really, i just dont like moaners in general ;)

Do I detect a moan?

Member Avatar for diafol

Seems like the downvotes are being lifted - although not all from the dvscript period. Left in limbo - at least when I had a really low count, I could troll to my heart's content. Now I just look like a pillock. I'm gonna have to be angelic to get a good rep, which'll take eternity OR I could carry on being a tw*t and get dv'd :icon_evil:

Well I can tell you that it involved manually editing the database and a php script that had to recalculate every post.

I can also tell you that, in total, seven accounts found to have been abusing the system were banned as a result of the investigation into this.

Because proxy servers were used we were not able to determine which, if any, existing members were involved - the banned accounts were pretty much set up to manipulate the voting system.

yay! dont think it got them all? i was on like 82% before and now im on like 72%

Same here. The original jump that made me start this thread is still there, plus a few more.

I am fully confident that all of the votes from the bots have been removed.

Member Avatar for diafol

I am fully confident that all of the votes from the bots have been removed.

OK, take your word for it. I was around high 80's-90% when bot struck - now on 67%. I guess I've got a fan club of real members. :icon_rolleyes:

This morning:

Now:

So one new person cast a vote .. and 28 posts went down. Someone had a busy morning :)

I suspect if this were looked in to you would find Rashakil Fol behind it. The number of unique down voters went up by one, and my negative posts went up by 28. Someone is digging up threads just to down vote them.

Interesting...
I saw a job on oDesk that gave the details of "automating a forum task" or something..
This may only be the beginning if such is the case, of course it's very likely it is unrelated but could also be very related.
:scared:

commented: This thread was dead for two years. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.