How do you search for a string in the forums?

For example, say I want to search for discussions of free online television. Simply going to the search page and entering "free online television" returned every occurrence of the separate terms free, online, and television.

So I tried a Boolean approach. I used the search phrase free AND online AND television. Same results.

Okay. So how do I search for a multi-word string in the forums?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

> Okay. So how do I search for a multi-word string in the forums?

I prefer to use Google for my power-searching needs. For e.g., in your case a query like site:[url]www.daniweb.com[/url] "free online television" when entered in the google search field should give decent results. Try it out, works out prettty well for me at least.

commented: Good idea :) +0

>>in your case a query like site:www.daniweb.com "free online television"

Hum ... never new we could do that :)

It should give just about the same results as the daniweb search, considering our results are Google-powered.

It should give just about the same results as the daniweb search, considering our results are Google-powered.

It should, but it doesn't. Searching for "vector problem" (with double-quotes, which means "search for vector AND problem IN THAT ORDER WITHOUT ANY OTHER WORDS IN BETWEEN")

Google results
Daniweb results
The first two results are the same, but as you can see, the third result on DW is "C++ vector delete problem". It should not have found this thread because it does not contain the text "vector problem"

> Hum ... never new we could do that

Yes you can, and there's more where it came from. :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.